Worst book you ever finished reading?

0 Conversations

I just finished reading James Ellroy's The Cold Six Thousand.... now don't get me wrong, I am normally a fan of Mr Ellroy's work. The Black Dahlia, LA Confidential, fine books all of them.

I think White Jazz started the rot but "The Cold Six Thousand" is a stinker. The attempt to lay bare the corruption, both political and personal of 60's America is destroyed by the hideous writing style.

"Wayne sniffed the napkin. Waybe smelled Barb. Wayne got a Janice jolt. His thoughts raced. He vibed rendevous."

This is wholly representative of the 672 pages of this meisterverk. It gets old very quickly. I finished the book, primarily because the story is so interesting, stopping for breaks to go and research and establish (in as far as it possible) where fiction started and history left off but, lord, it was a chore.

Anybody else ever grinded through any other stinkers and if so ...why?(mandatory reading for education is not a qualification!)


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A779394

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more