Exams

0 Conversations

It has occured to me that the very idea of examinations is a flawed concept. From the outside, I imagine that it appears to work: it certainly helps separate the strong from the weak, the stable from the suicidally depressed. Natural selection in action, I suppose. From the inside however, the view is a lot less pretty. Nothing is beautiful from every perspective. Everything is in some way flawed.

The effect of exam stress is greatly underestimated by the world at large. Having completed a school exam, it is always extremily frustrating to hear passing comments from newscasters, MPs or random OAPs who simply, as if it means nothing at all, say 'exams are easier than they used to be.' This is very insulting at the best of times, but try saying it to all the GCSE students who took stimulants to stay awake while they fight to learn their notes until the sun rises.
Try saying it to people who have contemplated or attempted suicide before their twenties simply because they couldn't cope with the pressure. And try saying it to the people who succeeded.

That was my rant. I'm done now.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A765830

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more