GOFAI vs the Engineers: the two (main) approaches to AI

0 Conversations

Faculty of Science

There are presently two main approaches to Artificial Intelligence: "GOFIA" ("Good Old Fashioned AI" and the Engineering perspective). In this article, these two approaches are introduced, along with some of examples of the research carried out using each approach.

GOFIA ("Good Old Fashioned AI")

"Good Old Fashioned Artificial Intelligence" research consists primarily of the basic research carried out in Artificial Intelligence departments at Universities, much of which aims to use computers to model human and/or animal thought processes.

GOFAI is, if you like, the attempt to create machines capable of independent thought with their own intentions, self-awareness, and thought. One of the problems with this definition is that we do not (and may never) fully understand the nature of any of these capabilities. Not only is it difficult to define what intelligence is and how it works (Crosslink), there is not even an agreed way to determine whether a system (biological or artificial) is intelligent! One proposed test for an intelligent machine is the Turing test (Crosslink), which works on the principle that if a human subjectn should be able to differentiate between a conversation with another human and a non-intelligent machine, but this has posed more questions than it has solved.

One of the key ways in which GOFAI researchers work is alongside other cognitive scientists (Crosslink), designing mental models (Crosslink). Generally, the research process is as follows:

  • A theory is proposed by psychologists/linguists/sociologists/ecologists (sorry if I've missed anyone!) of some aspect of human or animal mental/linguistic/social behaviour.
  • Some argument takes place between researchers interested in the field, and the theory is refined.
  • A GOFAI researcher reads about the theory and builds a computational model of the theory
  • The model is tested, evaluated, and refined until it is generally agreed that it is an accurate representation of the theory.
  • The model is then used as a tool to evaluate the theory.
  • Based on the results of this evaluation, a revise version of the original theory will usually be created to better represent the cognitive process being investigated.
  • This is a rough idea of GOFAI's contribution to the cognitive science research cycle. More detailed information will eventually be added to the (crosslink) page.

    The Engineering Approach

    Artificial Intelligence specialists working using the engineering approach take models created by GOFAI and apply them as solutions to real-life problems. A model does not necessarily need to be an accurate account of a human or animal cognitive process in order to be useful in this way (Example??).

    Other research areas in AI

    Some areas of AI research do not quite fit neatly into the two categories discussed above:

  • Search strategies (Crosslink).
  • Any suggestions for more?

  • Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A761780

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more