Computers and Work

3 Conversations

See it in GOO!
Intro Notes:

Since this guide considers earth and earthly things, we will use the term "person(s)" as refering to humans (Homo Sapiens / Homo Sapiens Sapiens) unless otherwise specified.


The author uses "we" instead of "I" because he/they is/are not sure which one of his Gemini personality is writing / narrating here. [The author denies belief in astrology.]



How Computers Work.

We intentionally did not use this title for this work because of the following irrevocable law, which we will call Panthers' first law of IBM (Intellect Beyond Machines):



The First Law: Computers do not work.

Proof:

Work, per physical definition, is the force applied to an object to cause a displacement. In case of the computer, a person applies force to the keyboard (gently), which displaces some buttons. Following a rough reference to Newton's 3rd law - everything that appears on the screen, is a result of the work done by the person. (Newton's 3rd law states: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." These laws has to do with motion, and since all of this is the result of motion {hands, electrons etc.} - this argument is proven per se.)



Results of the First Law


1. Persons do all the work (and we feel tired already).

2. Computers are objects that makes people work more than they want to.


General Implications / Observations

When you press a button on the keyboard you apply force to it. This force completes a circuit which sends electrons to the computer and translates to the letters on the screen. Various changes takes place en-route to the screen - these changes will be clarified deeper in this writing. Since no human has ever managed to create or destroy energy (with the possible exception of Margaret Thatcher, more about him later) - the amazing little energy you use to press a button results in a letter appearing on the screen. Additional energy to power devices does not come out of thin air but is the result of other people doing work somewhere, and transfering the energy to your computer.



How this work that people do actually results in letters on the screen, has much to do with a microprocessor. Computers have a multitude of microprocessors, which brings us to our next chapter.



The Brain of a Computer



First we have to try to define the following:


What is a BRAIN ?

Babies' brains, are made up of trillions of unconnected neurons waiting to be connected to other neurons, much like a computer is programmed. More connections - formed when children are stimulated and supported in their learning - mean a better functioning brain.


From this it then follows that the human brain keeps making more connections as knowledge is gained. In most cases, when such a connection is lost, the knowledge gained is still residual. Retrieval is a matter of re-establishing connection to the neurons that store the information


This brings us to the point of establishing Panthers' second law of IBM:



The Second Law: Computers do not have brains.

Proof:

True, just like a brain, the microprocessor (also called the CPU - Central Processing Unit) has a finite number of transistors (amongst other things) which we may equate to neurons.


The problem in this analogy is that the transistors in a microprocessor has a finite number of connections (the common transistor has 3 legs / gates / connections) and it needs each and every one to function. It also needs an external power source.


The neuron on the other hand may remain active without any connection to the rest of the brain, and connection may be established to it at random.


In a microprocessor the configuration of the transistors is fixed upon fabrication. One given configuration, receiving a predetermined input, will result in a specific output. The same configuration will have the same results again and again. Should part of the microprocessor fail, the output will deviate and the only way to restore normality is to replace the microprocessor. You can see how this - on intelligent level - will result in change of identity or total loss of experience gained (if that was possible).


The human brain is different. Failure of one section may result in loss of knowledge / ability - true. But this loss is temporary since, with time, these abilities or knowledge may be gained again through experience. Additional or new connections are forged and we can be back to optimal function. The identity remains the same.



To be continued ....

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A760934

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more