Energy Efficiency

0 Conversations

Turn them down if your are always too hot in the winter

Why should I be efficient?

There are 2 major advantages to becoming more energy efficient:

  • Save yourself Money
  • Save the Environment

Save Yourself Money


We pay for the energy we use. It therefore makes sense that when we 'use less', we also 'pay less'. Later in this article will be a guide to how you can produce a double saving (energy and money) with just a few easy steps.

Save the Environment


The majority of energy/electricity comes from the burning of fossil fuels (coal, oil, gas) at power stations. Burning these fuels produces damaging greenhouse gases. As heat becomes trapped by these gases in the atmposphere the whole world climate begins to change, icecaps melt, and generally the current climate is sent to extremes:

  • The Cold gets Colder
  • The Hot gets Hotter
  • The Wet gets Wetter
  • The Dry gets Drier

By becoming energy efficient, we can reduce the need for fuels to be burnt, and hence reduce the amount of greenhouse gases entering the atmosphere - we would be saving the planet.

Tree Kangaroo

So, how do I go about being more Energy Efficient?


There are 5 main areas to concentrate on:

  • Heating
  • Lighting
  • Applicances
  • Insulation
  • Glazing

Heating


It is understandable that when a cold winter comes along that no one wants to be cold. Mind you, have you ever had that feeling when you walk into someones house in the winter and it is absolutely roasting? Well, it shouldn't be... Set your thermostat between 19 and 21 degrees celcius for comfortable living. Any more and you are wasting big time.


Another couple of good ideas as far as heating is concerned are the use of 'Heating Controls' and 'Thermostatic Radiator Valves'. The 'controls' allow you to set the times which the heating should be on (usually for two periods during the day). Thermowatsthat? Individual controls for each radiator. This allows you to turn off/down the levels of heating in rooms that are used infrequently (i.e. Guest Rooms). Obviously both of these devices give you more control over heating output.

Lighting


A couple of very useful tips for saving energy through lighting measures. Most importantly, turn off any lights in rooms you are not in (i.e. Turn off when you leave a room and back on when you go back in - easy and effective). Second, purchase energy saving lightbulbs. This may only use 10% of the energy that ordinary lightbulbs use, and the price of energy saving lightbulbs has come down in recent years also. Potential for big savings here.

THIS ISN'T FINISHED - BUT IN TRUE ARNIE FASHION, I'LL BE BACK!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A748415

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more