Equality and Similarity Euclid's Elements

2 Conversations

Euclid, through propositions, introduces two ideas that are nearly alike, equality and similarity. Equality and similarity are both applied across many concepts in Euclid's Elements. They both relate rectilineal figures1 to other rectilineal figures, and circles to other circles.


All circles are similar to one another. This is because the definition of a circle allows that only one quality of a circle change between any circles. Only the radius varies from circle to circle. Equality among circles is very limited for the same reason. If the radii are equal, the circles are equal.


The nature of rectilineal figures begets more rules for achieving equality or similarity. Rectilineal figures are less specifically defined, therefore to achieve similarity, the sides must be of the same number between figures, corresponding sides must be proportional, and the angles contained by corresponding sides must be equal. The figures do not have to be equal to be similar.


In rectilineal figures, equality has a broader definition than in circles. If the figures are equal, the figures are equal. What does this mean? Euclid defines figure as that which is contained by any boundary or boundaries, but many, while studying Euclid lose sight of this. Most commonly this is called the area of a figure, or megathos. So if the areas are equal between two figures, the figures are equal2.


How then are figures equal? Similarity combines with equality in rectilineal figures in a way that is not obvious for circles, and this leads to a better understanding of equality. Similar and equal rectilineal figures will coincide with on another. If one imagines two rectilineal figures that fit all rules of similarity and that are equal, matching any of the sides coinciding with its corresponding side in the other figure results in only one visible figure.


Now if one imagines two equal figures that are not similar, the concept of equality can be tangentially grasped. If one keeps the area or size of the two figures constant, but makes them similar, they will coincide. This is what it means to have equal figures. In circles this problem with understanding equality never arises. Any circle that is equal to another circle will always coincide with that circle, because all circles are similar.

3
1Figures made up of only straight lines2for Euclid3Euclid stuff: The circle, in constructions, creates equal lines through propositions 2 and 3 in book I. This is because every radius from the center is equal to every other radius in a given circle. Any one of the radii can be chosen as a new line. This quality is used throughout the constructions in books I and II. The circle, in proposition 12 book I, is used to drop a perpendicular to a given line. Thus the circle's unique properties allow it to be used as a tool in constructing rectilineal figures, and also reveals unique properties of the lines and angles that make up rectilineal figures, as in book III. The circle uncovers properties of lines and angles (In Euclid's books III and IV), but lines also highlight the circle's amazing properties. Euclid reveals that all of the angles on one segment of a circle are equal(book III proposition 21.) Even though it can be argued that the circle is simply used in books III and IV to show various qualities of lines and angles, propositions like this shed light upon the nature of equality within the circle. Equality and similarity are two relationships between magnitudes just as ratio or commensurability or incommensurability. Euclid chooses to start The Elements with equality and move quickly into similarity because both are base ideas, most likely already understood by any of his students. Ratio and commensurability are derived from these ideas later in The Elements.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A745760

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more