Areas

0 Conversations

The Bridge

Located on the top blade section forward of the Mess Hall, the Bridge has an impressive view to the outside of foot-thick clear walls, and information on the entire ship and its surroundings easily on hand. Naturally, then, this is the central command station for the entire ship, where the Captain can oversee everything.



With him are the Pilot, Navigator, Tactical Officer, and Diplomatic Specialist. The ship's course is plotted here and the pilot executes maneuvers under the Captain's scrutiny. Data on ship systemry to outside sensors constantly filter in to the real-time tactical view, giving the T.O plenty of room to deploy fighters or lock on ship weaponry at leisure.

Ready Room

The meeting area for the highest-ranking officers and advisers, face-to-face discussions are conducted here and important matters on anything are decided here. Here the captain hears cases or greets diplomatic envoys.

Captain's Dining

A quiet, private area connected to the Captain's Office and Quarters, only the most personal meetings take place here. The Captain is a rather private person when not at the helm and you can expect an interesting exchange if you happen to visit.

Engineering

Built into the bridge between main section and the black star's sphere cage, it is the technological heart of the ship. Here all ship systems are controlled.
It is in Engineering where the main controls to life support, propulsion, and the hyperdrive are located.
The science database is especially easy to access here, and there are facilities to analyze unknown technology or develop new devices.

Medilab

Though each crewman's wrist comp constantly monitors their life processes, and though there are aid stations and roving servo-drones capable of medical service, the centralized biomedical area is the Medilab.



There are dozens of surgical clean rooms, quarantine areas, examination areas equipped with advanced sensors. A lavishly outfitted biolife science lab is there, both to dissect strange creatures or pathogens, and to concoct new treatments or bioweapons. A fully sentient Triage AI manages this complex.



The Medilab is linked to the off-limits Cryostasis Hall. The Captain has ordered this area sealed, pending executive order.

The Hangar

Numerous docking sleeves hold ships of all sizes and specialties. A fully automated construction bay ready to turn out everything from fighters to battlecruisers, or repair them by the score.



This is where fighter pilots deploy to engage the enemy. Frictionless tubes from the barrack lead them directly to their vehicles. The Hangar has wide frontal doors, heavily armored on all sides to protect retreating craft. They are large enough to accommodate an entire squadron flying wing-to-wing to refuel while another roars out to engage.



The engineers and shipwrights also reside here, overseeing resource collection and production. Fighters, corvettes, and frigates can be turned out by the hundred, simultaneously, while another area constructs frigates and still another lays keel for huge carriers and battlecruisers. If necessary, entire sections of the lower blade can disengage to give room for the new ships to exit.

Shuttlebay 1

This is where alien ships are received and new recruits taken in. Away teams are assembled and launched from here.

The Brig

A city-size community, especially one perhaps more diverse than the original builders ever imagined, can make for lively unscrupulous activity. This calls for a force of Security Officers and a Security Chief to basically fill the roles of sheriff and deputies for a booming frontier town. They must be ready to contain boarding hostiles, quell riots and mutiny, and investigate local ship's crimes.



There are numerous containment areas for local ship's criminals and prisoners, interrogation booths, and even an arsenal, equipped with riot control weapons, nonlethal and area-effect, body armor, helmets, and clear riot shields.



The Security Chief's office is naturally located here. There are also several Investigative agents posted here, ready to look into thefts, conspiracies, even murders.



Because of its function of holding prisoners, who must not be able to get out, the Brig is also difficult to break into. Should the ship be overrun, the Brig would be where the last stand would be.

The Promenade

The economic center of the Khar Siid, the Promenade is a roomy walkway where room has been designated for many shops and restaurants. This place is a non-military area, a dress-down place where crew can mingle regardless of rank.



There are specialized shops, dark and intimate bars and clubs, dance halls and gaming areas, from arcades to casinos. Many crewmen opt to spend their leaves here.

The Arboretum

While most of the ship is sterile synthetic and composite, the Arboretum is a haven of green and natural air, a park in deep space.



At the back part of the main blade, a chamber so huge clouds float near the ceiling, with a curved floor to simulate a horizon, the Arboretum is divided into several different habitats, each its own AI-regulated environment. There is a snow to alpine forest, desert to oasis area, tropical jungle, temperate forest to meadow to beach. Simulated rivers and even an artificial sea with mechanically impelled waves. Each area is amply stocked with appropriate plant and animal species, in distributions and proportions equal to their originals on Earth.



While nature walks, camping trips, and fishing expeditions are popular and encouraged, one must be cautious in some areas. The artificial climates can be unforgiving, and there are tigers, wolves, Yetis, and poisonous snakes in their designated regions.

Barracks

The crew's quarters are generally referred to as the Barracks. But the Barracks also has recreational, training, and outfitting areas.



There is an Armory, with an inventory of weapons and equipment, which is constantly being updated. There is a fully equipped gym, which you won't find very different from contemporary gyms, but the VR room is something else. Here users have their brains wired into a simulation. Field training takes place here.

The Mess Hall

A huge chamber, behind the bridge, with a fantastic view of the stars outside through clear walls that are covered by retractable blast shields in combat, the Mess Hall can be compared to a town square. Here general assemblies are held and festivals celebrated.

The Bulletin Board

The electronic Bulletin Board, part of the communitynet system, is accessible to anyone with a wrist comp. It holds interdepartmental messages, event alerts, and updates from the various areas.

Outside

Not all locations are of the ship. This is the general area just outside the hull, accessed through an airlock. Fighter combat and resource gathering takes place here. Derelicts appear here and are retrieved.

The Cryostasis Hall

A sealed, off-bounds area for most people, the great gloomy Hall is a mysterious area of the ship. What lies within? Could something still be lurking within its frigid depths?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A739622

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more