Say that Again!

1 Conversation


Do you hear the dawn chorus? do you hear the baby crying upstairs? when you ask for an item in the shops does the assistant turn her back and talk to you?

These are just three of the daily problems you may of had to overcome at some time, occasionally you will get a shocked expression shown to you and oops! you got it wrong.


Life for the partially deaf can be tiring but great fun. Here are a few of the gaming rules.

1. Learn to avoid akward questions by simply not hearing them.

2. Place a permanent smile on your face, hope nothing bad happens.

3. Be grateful when reading a book that it's not a listening one.

4. Don't sign noise petitions,you won't hear what the noise is anyway

5. Lastly and most importantly, be glad you're alive

Personally I have found rule one works to my advantage brilliantly, as the questioner is usually too embarrassed to repeat their question.

Have you sometimes wished that you could still hear the birds singing. The human brain is a wonderous thing, it remembers the sounds you used to hear and when you see a bird your brain hears the song, unfortunately it may also hear the song when there are no birds present, but that's your gain and a hearing persons loss.

Going to parties is a great way of being seemingly as perfect as everyone else, they can't hear any better than you and the music is never too loud, so pump up the volume, and you can say what!! as much as you like and no-one notices. Once everyone has become equally inebriated it doesn't matter if you give a wrong response to a question because they're as pi-eyed as you, dance on.

Rule two can be a little wearing at first, but once people begin to smile back at you, even when it's raining, it's worth the effort and anyway it's great for the facial muscles. When all around you have saggy faces your smile will grow even bigger, so you get a few laughter lines but they show you have a nice personality.

The most important rule is number five, for all the bad things that go on in the world would you really rather not have been born? Life can be fun if you refuse to be glum, think of the beautiful things your eyes have seen and the great people you have met who didn't care whether or not you are perfect.

So smile and be happy, what's that upstairs on the right, oh! I'll have one sugar please.



Bye

Lips and tongue, and the words 'say that again?'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A737732

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more