Stuffed Squash

1 Conversation


This recipe is great with my other recipe The Perfect Italian-Style Tomato Sauce and rice or bread.


Ingredients
  • Olive oil
  • A small onion
  • 2 large cloves of garlic
  • One large carrot
  • 2 sticks of celery
  • 500g of mince, lamb or beef
  • 2 teaspoons of tomato paste
  • 2 cups of beef stock
  • Enough grated cheese to lightly cover the top of the mixture in the oven.
  • One large squash1
Method

  1. Crush garlic with the blade of the knife and chop it and the other vegetables finely.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the fryingpan and add the veges and cook until they are soft.
  3. Put the mince in the pan and cook it until it is brown all over. Make sure it is well broken up and that it is mixed in well with the veges.
  4. Cut the squash in half, scrape out most of the pulp and seeds and add them to the pan with the mince. Place the 2 squash halves in a baking dish large enough to hold them lying on their curved sides. Preheat your oven to 180c.
  5. Add the tomato paste and the beef stock. Bring it to the boil and simmer it until the stock is almost all gone and the whole mixture is really smooth.
  6. Spoon the mince mixture into the squash shells and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
  7. Bake until the cheese is golden brown and the squash is fork tender, but not falling apart.
1If you can't get squash use a large zucchini. The reason why I called this squash and not zucchini is because there is a different vegetable called squash that fewer people grow. They have got a blander taste, and their seeds are even bigger than those in zucchinis.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A722729

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more