Cthulhu Mythos

1 Conversation

Introduction
The Cthulhu Mythos are a fictional creation by the Earth author Howard Philips Lovecraft. After his death, they were expanded upon by the younger August Derleth. The Cthulhu Mythos are compiled of Lovecraft's "canon" works. The term was never use by Lovecraft himself. It is named after everyone's favorite eldritch horror, Cthulhu, Master of R'lyeh. It is the basis for the theme of cosmic horror.
The mythos focuses on the idea of hopelessness, that the world is a bleak, dark place. There is no escaping the horror, as it is the fabric of the world. The end is nigh, and humanity is doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOMED! No matter what, you will fail in the Mythos-verse. Want to live? You can't. Want to keep sane? You can't. Wan't to die first? You can't.
Knowledge is not power in the Mythos. Knowledge will drive you insane. One of the most famous HP Lovecraft quotes ever is 'We live on a placid island of ignorance, amidst the black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should journey far.' The Earth is a peaceful outpost of sanity in a dark world, but it is very unstable. Lovecraft hinted at that knowledge of the mythos would be discovered, and that it would be the downfall of man.
There are many horrible malevolent creature in the world. Many races are far more advanced than man, and only luck has staved off their wrath. These creatures are horribly indescribable, causing someone to go insane from just looking at them. Most protagonists who meet these beings go insane, die, or both. and not alway in that order. Not all of these creatures want to kill man. The mi-go are content to mine Earth. The deep ones procreate with humans to increase their cult's numbers. The only reason they don't kill is because they don't care. man poses no threat.
Over the years, fans have expanded on the mythos, adding humor and sci-fi-ness to it all. There are quite few comedy web comics and YouTube shows based on Lovecraft. The mythos can be very comedic. There are videos like Lil' Cthulhu on Youtube, and plush Cheribluthu dolls available. However the fear of the unknown and cosmic evil of a chaotic universe in a Mythos story remains.

Pantheons
The pantheons of the Cthulhu Mythos can be dived into 3 groups. The Elder Gods, who want you to live, the Great Old Ones, who want you to die, and the Other, or Outer, Gods, who don't give damn what happens to you. The Elder Gods, by the way, aren't very effectual. No matter what, you WILL die in the world of the Mythos.
The Elder Gods are the 'good guys' by comparison. They really don't want you to die. But they can't be bothered to always come to the rescue. They did however, invent the Elder Sign. It's a star with the eye in the center. Or a branch. There have been numerous bloody wars fought over it.It repels evil, or at least makes it not want to kill you. Sometimes. The most powerful elder god is Nodens. His servitors are the faceless Nightgaunts, which are not exactly good-guy looking.
The Great Old Ones are a group that wants you to die. And they get what they want. However, they are bound by the stars, in hidden areas of the Earth. When the stars are right, they will arise in a grand resurrection, and walk the Earth once more. And everyone will die. The most notable Great Old Ones are Dagon, and of course Great Cthulhu. Their servitors are Deep Ones, Star Spawn, Gugs, Shoggoths, etc.
The Other Gods don't give damn what happens to you. Except Nyarlathotep. He wants you to suffer eternally. The Other Gods don't really care if you die. But they will cause your death, anyway. Most are blind and dumb, driven by singular hungers and thirsts. Except Nyarlathotep. He's driven by evil. They are not bound by stars, but they
don't have a motive for killing man. Except Nyarlathotep. Certain notable Elder Gods are Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, Shub-Nigguroth, and of course, Nyarlathotep. Their servitors are horned, hooved, almost human creatures, amorphous pipers, and Dark Young.
Necronomicon
The Necronomicon is an accursed book written by Abdul Alhazared, the Mad Arab. Most original copies were destroyed, but Latin and English ones can be found. Miskatonic and Harvard have copies. Miskatonic's Non-Euclidean engineering students find it very helpful. It contains a lot of occult information, summoning spells, and death incantations. Never repeat page 751 aloud. Yog-Sothoth may not want to chat with you.
Creatures
There are quite a few mystical beings in the mythos that aren't gods. They will still kill you.
Deep Ones are a race a fish frogs. They serve Dagon and Hydra, and occasionally Cthulhu. When approaching a Deep One, mention interbreeding. They love interbreeding. Human sacrifices help, too. They can't give you a lift, but they may convince Dagon to. Never look directly at a god.
Star Spawn of Cthulhu are the race Cthulhu rules. They look like Cthulhu, but are smaller than him, and weaker. Never call them Mini-Cthulhu. They will eat you. The spawn live in the corpse city of R'lyeh. It helps to mention the beautiful Non-Euclidean architecture. Do not approach them if you look human. Humans are a favored delicacy among Star Spawn.
Ghouls are Nightmarish creatures. They live in tunnels beneath the Earth. They cannot give you a lift to another world. It may be best to avoid Ghouls. If you must, do not play dead. Ghouls will eat you. Do not be dead. They will also eat you. The best way to stay alive around Ghoul is be alive. Ghouls eat corpses.
Nightgaunts are a hideous faceless bat-like race. They are the good guys. They may not kill you on sight. Nightgaunts don't have rides, but they make good ones. When mounting a Nightgaunt, use a saddle. Their bones are sharp, and may cause permanent damage to gonads.
Advice
Avoid the Cthulhu Mythos. Better ideas for visits are Vogon Poetry Slams and RPP Robot Prototype Meetings. You will lose less sanity that way.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A72221096

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more