Cell Phones

1 Conversation

Functions

Cell phones are mainly used for novelty ring tones, applications, and listening to one's favorite music. A lesser known, yet also quite useful function of the cell phone is it's communication ability. When a cell phone is bought from one of the various retailers such as AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile, the customer is assigned a phone number. This phone number can be used by anyone in the world who also owns a cell phone to talk to the owner of that number.

Impact

The invention and distribution of the cell phone worldwide has made pay phones and land lines near obsolete. As long as the user of the cell phone has service in a particular area, they are able to call and other phone on the planet. This has caused people to be more connected with one another, and improved communication o the point of extreme global awareness.

Are They Essential?

The use of cell phones is by no means essential, however they extend communication ability through the entirety of the Earth and, in some other cases, even further. So if you are an earthling looking to transport music, use applications on the go, and play all of your favorite novelty ring tones, a cell phone is an absolute necessity.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A71108552

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more