Empty slot 3

1 Conversation


To cut a long story short1, the mole (abbreviated 'mol') is a fundamental unit, defined as 'the amount of substance which contains as many particles as there are atoms in 12 g (grammes) of 12C'. And 12 g of 12C contain approximately2 6.022 1023 atoms. A few obvious questions are promptly raised: 'Why would one use such a complicated number?' and 'What is it good for?'


Some people have defined practical chemistry as being glorified cookery. That being the case, if one was baking a cake, one would need to measure out the requisite quantities of ingredients. This is usually done by weighing. The chemist on the other hand is often needing to synthesise new compounds. In order to make a compound, he will follow a recipe, much like baking a cake. However, a chemist needs to mix together precisely the correct amounts of starting materials, in an ideal case, according to the chemical equation. For example, a neutralization reaction (see also Acidity and Basicity)3:


NaOH + HCl -> NaCl + H2O


Sodium hydroxide reacts with hydrochloric acid on a 1:1 ratio to form sodium chloride (~ table salt) and water in a ratio of 1:1. Any other ratio will leave an excess of hydroxide or acid, resulting in an alkaline or acidic product. So, to get the desired result, a neutral product, with no excess of base or acid, the reacts (sp?) have to be mixed together in the exact proportions, molecule-wise4.


The problem now is that the NaOH and the HCl molecules have different molecular masses (6.6 10-26 kg and 6.0 10-26 kg). So simply adding 100 grammes of NaOH and 100 grammes of HCl will not lead to the desired result, there will be an excess of HCl, as there are more HCl molecules in 100 grammes than NaOH. To make things right chemists have to known how many molecules are in a given mass, in grammes, of a certain substance. In that way it is possible to achieve the ideal ratio by weighing the substances and mixing them together.


So, it is not difficult, but complicated to calculate the mass of a molecule, finding out how many of them are in a given mass and then calculating how much mass is needed of the other compound so that the ratios fit, all using numbers with absurd exponents like 10-20. This is the reason why chemists came up with the concept of the 'mole'. It makes calculations in terms of number of atoms astonishingly easy. One mole is a conversion factor between atomic mass units, which are tabulated in the periodic table and add up for every molecule5, and grammes.


Using the previous example, the calculation goes like this: The molecular mass of NaOH is 40 in atomic units6. So 100 grammes of NaOH correspond to 2.5 moles (100/40) of NaOH (or 15.1 1023 molecules). To carry out a neutralization raction with this amount of NaOH, 2.5 moles of HCl (molecular mass is 36.5 atomic units) are needed, which correspond to 91.25 grammes (2.5 x 36.5)7.

1Historical aspects (include link to history Entry?) and other definitions of 'mole' (e.g. the animal, the spy and the skin blemish2It is not feasible at present to count atoms contained in grammes of a substance, hence the number is presently not known with absolute precision.3For the symbols of the elements cf. The Periodic Table4Note that the usage of term 'molecule' might not be completely accurate, as sometimes ions and atoms are involved, but for the sake of simplicity, let us use the term 'molecule' to denote the 'elementary unit or particle' in the chemical formalism.5E.g. The mass of water in atomic units is 18 (Oxygen 16 plus two hydrogens =1)6Na=23 o=16 and H=17The only problem is that HCl is a gas, and cannot be weighed straightforwardly, but knowing density and volume solves the problem)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A703036

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more