The h2g2 Poem

1 Conversation

I was amazed by how long this poem took to gestate.

The encounters it refers to began one March, and ended in July. And although I was aware of what I have written about at the time, I focussed on the physical. It was, after all, a physical affair. I tried writing about it in May and June, but it was another eight months before I realised that the pysical was a metaphor for the emotional, and vice versa. When I finally came to sit down, I wrote it in seven minutes flat. Being an irony-junkie, I am very aware that I would not be treading lightly if I sent it to the guy it is written about...

Treading the Earth Lightly


I had not realised how much I bit and scratched.

But you must be given back whole and unmarked;

and our time together must be un-noticable.

So I halt and hold back.

Return to my mind.

Restrain my self a little, and move on

here, and here, and here instead.

As it is with our bodies, so with our selves -

A question takes you into private spaces:

you do not answer,

I do not ask again.

This caution is new for me.

I am learning how to do it.

To respect the life you have outside this bed;

to enjoy the interlude;

to thank you;

and, leaving no signs, move on.


smiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rose


Poetry and Prose Archives


a girl called Ben



28.02.02. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A702550

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more