Sailing on the seas of earth - The basic rules!

2 Conversations


There are not many basic rules! To begin with there will be given, say, 10 rules! These rules are universal for all sea travelling. Ther will be given some rules for actually sailing a boat in the next entry.


Rule no 1: Have respect for the sea. It does not respect you!

Rule no 2: Always listen to the weather report for the day.

Rule no 3: Do not push the boat to its limits before you know its limits.

Rule no 4: Don't drinking alcohol while sailing or going by motor. There is plenty of time after you have moored. Remember rule no. 1!

Rule no 5: Moor the boat as though a hurricane will blow up while away or dure in the night. You never know what Neptune has in store. See rule no. 1.

Rule no 6: Don't sail without drafts of the area! Even though you might think you know the territory well.

Rule no 7: Don't sail into unknown territory without studding the drafts. If in doubt, lower the sails and start the motor.

Rule no 8: A nice rule this time. Remember, as long as you're sailing, not going by motor, then boats going by motor have to give away.

Rule no 9: Don't go off sailing into open waters, without at least a compass.

Rule no 10: Be paranoid, all experienced sailor are, that's why they live to enjoy sailing.


Oh, just a very few rules concerning buying a sailing boat:


Rule no 1: Do not buy a very big sailing boat to begin with. It will take time before you learn to enjoy it. And there are very many small romantic places that big boats will not get into. Start with a boat around 20 - 28 feet. The size is the authors personal advice!

Rule no 2: Do not buy a wooden boat, unless you like to have a lot of work to do every second spring. Or unless you have the money to get others to do it!

Rule no 3: Make sure that the sails and ropes are not worn out. It's quite boring to sail with worn sails and can be very dangerous to sail with worn ropes!

Rule no 4: Make sure you have a place to moor the boat, when you go home.


There is one rule that everyone must learn, and it's one of the most important rules for sailing-boat-owners: Never understand what makes people buy motorboats. Especially if your talking to a motorboat owner.


Windy regards

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A696990

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more