Grammar Words

1 Conversation

Imagine six blocks. Build a pyramid with them. Three on the bottom, two in the middle, and one on top. Now, on the top block, write noun. On the two middle blocks, write subJECT and obJECT. On the three bottom blocks write person place and thing.

A noun is not a person, place of thing directly. In grammar, a noun is one of two things, either a subject or an object. It's the subjects and objects that are persons, places and things.

Notice that the words subject and object both have the root ject. Well, so does the adjective. Teachers say an adjective is a word which describes, but that isn't accurate. An adjective is a word which describes a noun, either subject or object.

The girl touched the red car. Determiner, noun, verb, determiner, adjective, noun. We added the adjective to car, to modify the meaning of the word car.

We add the adjective to a JECT. And in the same way, we add the adverb to the VERB.

The ball rolled slowly off the table. Determiner, noun, verb, adverb, prepostion, determiner, noun (and object of the prepostional phase). The verb is the action word, rolled. What modifies the word rolled? Slowly. Adverbs often end in ly.



A noun is a naming word. Susan, England, egg



A verb is a VaRiaBle word, which can take a tense. If there is action, the verb indicates it. run, go, am



Participles participate. The present participles always end in 'ing', but the past participles often end in ed, but are variable. They are words which show particitpation.

I bought the bike. I am buying the bike. I will be buying the bike. 'Bought' is the past particple. 'Am buying' is the present particple. 'Will be buying' is the future participle. Participles can be associated with auxiliary verbs, showing tense. They indicate participation.



Prepositions are positions words. They are often little words, it's true, but their function is to indicate positions.

Mike put his shoes under the bed. The words 'under the bed' are a prepostional phrase. A phrase is composed of words working together to indicate special meanings. A prepositional phrase tells a position. They often answer the question 'where?'. in the garage, on the table, at the wall, underneath the sink In these examples the prepostions are in, on, at and underneath.



Conjunctions have a junction or joining. The three conjunction words are 'and, but, or'.



Conjunctions can join words
Ben and Jerry

or phrases
under the sink and behind the cleanser

or sentences, which can otherwise stand alone
Please bring my shoes and don't forget your keys.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A696332

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more