Bagpipes: Instruments of the Gods

0 Conversations

I am a bagpiper. Yes, I admit it. Pipes are my life, and I couldn't ask for more. There is nothing like standing before a crowd with a judge, and playing your absolute best, and getting to take that golden medal home with you.
Now there are those out there who hate the pipes. I would prefer to refer to it as ignorance rather than hate however. Most bagpipe-haters aren't exposed to true pipe music, and thus, cannot appreciate its true beauty. Allasdair Gillies, the world's best piper alive, once said, "When the pipes are played in tune, and played properly, there isn't a single instrument which can compare with its beauty." And that is the truth.
I won't go into the history of the pipes, because that has been done many times before. But instead, I shall endeavor to instruct the finer points of bagpipe music.
To begin there are two key types of pipe music, Cael Beigh (Light music), and Cael Mohr (Heavy music). Cael Beigh is the modern form of bagpiping and it is divided into several styles of playing.
These would include, Strathspeys which are cut then elongated on note patterns, Reels which are in cut-time (for you musicians), Hornpipes which are like reels only in 2/4 time and faster, jigs which are in any time divisble into triplet time, marches which are the standard street performance pieces, and slow airs which explain themselves.
The other form of bagpipe music is Cael Mohr, and this is the ancient form of bagpiping, dating back to 800 AD or earlier. Some of the first music ever written down, was Cael Mohr. Before sheet music, it was passed by mouth through a language called the Canteraidch (Canter-Rock). Cael Mohr is a music based upon interpretation, though there are usually set norms. There is no real time, and no real strict rythmns like in other music.
I've only skimmed the surface of music that has been created with only nine notes. A powerful and dramatic instrumen, the pipes are truly instruments of the Gds.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A685730

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more