Photo Scavenger Hunts Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Photo Scavenger Hunts

1 Conversation

A photo scavenger hunt is one in which the teams collect photos rather than objects. Just like in a regular scavenger hunt, each team is given a list of targets, and they try to take pictures of the group at each of the targets within a given time limit. Points are given by judges for each target achieved, and silly prizes are awarded.

Supplies

  • A camera for each team, with some kind of process that will allow the pictures to be available quickly, such as:

    • An instant camera (such as a Polaroid) with film.
    • A digital camera with a memory card large enough for photos of all the targets.
    • A regular camera (often a disposable one) and film that can be dropped off at a 1-hr processing station.

  • A list of targets for each team, with point values assigned - point values are generally decided in advance by the judges, and often range between 10 and 50 points per target, with the more difficult targets receiving more points.

  • A list of the rules for each team - this is commonly printed up on the back of the list of targets.

The Rules

Probably the most important rule concerns the time limit. Generally, teams start from a common location and must return there by a given time with their pictures. Depending on the teams, photo scavenger hunts often last two to four hours, although they may be shorter for young children, or longer for an especially enthusiastic bunch.

Another important rule is that the whole team must stay together.

Judging

While creative interpretations of the targets are generally allowed, the judge(s) have the final determination as to whether each photo receives points. In some scavenger hunts, the teams are told in advance that the judge(s) may award bonus points for especially creative photos. It's also common for the point values to differ between targets, with the more difficult targets receiving more points.

Common Targets

Good targets for a photo scavenger hunt include pictures of:

  • The group in a boat - this is an especially fun one if you live in a completely landlocked area
  • The group on a merry-go-round
  • The group in a human pyramid, like the ones the cheerleaders make
  • The group in a public fountain
  • Everyone in the group sitting in one chair
  • The group with a pig (or any other animal that it will be difficult, but possible, to find in the area)
  • The group in a jail cell
  • The group on park swings
  • The group in pyjamas
  • The group in a police car
  • The group 'working' at a fast-food restaurant

Traditionally, at least one of the targets involves getting the participants soaking wet. To add an extra challenge, the targets can also be given in the form of a riddle.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A679584

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more