About Castles

1 Conversation

I am an English Women born in London, who emigrated to Australia with her 4 children. I have never forgotten my roots, and read everything I can British. My Favourite Castle is 'Dover Castle'. Mainly because my Father was born there and I spent so many happy holidays in this place it became like a second home to me. My Aunt used to own several pubs in the area and my Grandmother died there. I think I have visited Dover Castle more times than any other, in England. I always loved it and even on returning to England twice on holidays. I have made the effort to return. It may not be as ornate as other Castles but it has a homely feeling. As a child I used to wander over the Shakespeare cliffs and I would come upon underground rooms that had bars across them. I always associated them with the Castle and my young mind used to imagine the people who would have been incarcerated in these places. Now I wonder whether these were something to do with old places where arms were stored against Dover being attacked. Well this is my first attempt to write something on here. You wanted to know how to get to the Castle, well I expect any visitor would have a map and one can't miss the Castle standing on its hill. I remember looking out from the top and seeing the white mark where Bleriot's plane crashed. Yours sincerely Marj Busby [email protected].

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A677360

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more