RTL/2

0 Conversations

A High level programming language developed by John Barnes et al at ICI in the early 1970s. (John Barnes went on to become an ADA guru).

Programs are developed in a series of separately-compileable BRICKs. A BRICK may consist of a series of data declarations, or a PROCEDURE (function). Although each BRICK is separately compileable, several are normally combined into a single source file for submission to the compiler. Output from the compiler consists of Assembler code for the target machine, and a 'cross-reference' file which defines the 'shape' of each brick. Cross-reference files from each compiled module are submitted to a Linker, which checks and satisfies references between modules.

ICI also developed a series of real-time operating systems (MTS) which were largely written in RTL/2.

The language definition became a British Standard, and the compiler front-end was itself written in RTL/2, ensuring common syntax across all platforms.

The compiler was licenced to a number of companies, such as SPL (Systems Programmimg Ltd) and Software Sciences and compilers were developed for the DEC (now Compaq) PDP/11 and VAX, the Motorola 68xx and the IBM 360. The early compilers ran on the IBM mainframe and cross-compiled code for the mini systems.

Unfortunately, the language never really took off commercially, and latterly was supported by RTC - Real-Time Consultants - and Natron. An RTL/2 to C translator was developed and marketed by Natron.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A668658

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more