Ferncliff Peninsula, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Ferncliff Peninsula, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, USA

0 Conversations

As the Youghiogheny River (pronounced 'yawk-i-gay-nee') passes through Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, it encounters a hard tongue of sandstone which the waters cannot erode. This sandstone bends the river in a horseshoe shape to form the 104-acre Ferncliff Peninsula.

The peninsula is a significant natural feature and was made a National Natural Landmark in 1973 by the US Department of the Interior1. One reason it is so special is that the river water carries seeds from southern plants northward. When the water encounters the peninsula, these seeds are deposited. This creates a pocket of southern flora far north of its usual range, including southern wildflowers like the Carolina Tassle Rue and the threatened tree Umbrella Magnolia.

Scenic Beauty

In the late 1800s, steam trains carried weekend holiday goers from Pittsburgh to the area to enjoy the scenic beauty and clean mountain air. During the heyday of the area, the peninsula was home to a hotel, tennis court, bowling alley and dance hall. The advent of the automobile brought about the decline of the excursion trains and the area soon fell into economic depression.

With the help of Pittsburgh department store magnate Edgar Kauffman2, a private conservancy group purchased the peninsula and allowed it to return to its natural state. Today, only a few hiking trails, interpretive signs, and tourists indicate the presence of man at Ferncliff.

Hiking Trails

There are four hiking trails on the peninsula and all are an easy walk even for young children. Each trail is well marked with both signs and painted blotches to help you find your way.

Ferncliff Trail

The Ferncliff Trail is the main trail from which all others branch off. The trail-head is near the large parking area and beside the stone marker noting that the Ferncliff Peninsula is a National Natural Landmark.

The trail itself is a little under two miles in length and follows the shoreline of the peninsula. There are numerous places which overlook the Yough and there are a few spots which provide close-up views of Ohiophyle Falls (one even has a bench).

Keep an eye out for fossilized tree trunks and leaves in the rocks along the trail; a descriptive sign nearby points out the location of a few of the really big ones.

Buffalo Nut Trail

This trail is a short tenth of a mile and basically serves as a shortcut from the Ferncliff Trail to the Oakwoods Trail. It branches off from the Ferncliff Trail at the descriptive sign explaining how the Youghiogheny Gorge was formed. Again, the terrain here is easy.

Fernwood Trail

This half-mile long trail branches off from the main trail and passes through an area overgrown with ferns. Ferns are so widespread in Pennsylvania's woodlands because they are one of the few plants the white-tailed deer will not eat. Tree saplings and other forest under-canopy plants are quickly consumed by deer, leaving wide areas of ferns behind.

This trail also passes by the remnants of the old Ferncliff Hotel.

Oakwoods Trail

This trail leads from the Ferncliff Trail back to the trail-head and parking area, covering about a half mile. It provides good views of the mature hardwood forest. It is marked with black blotches which look like 'equals signs' and does contain a very slight slope. A small side-trail leads to the highest point on the peninsula.

Rules of the Trail

  • The trails are open from 8am to sunset.

  • Picnicking, hunting, trapping, alcoholic beverages and littering are prohibited in this area.

  • Removing any part of the natural area or defacing or damaging it is forbidden.

  • Pets must be on a lead at all times.

Driving Directions

From the Pennsylvania Turnpike, take the Donegal Exit (Exit 9) and head south on state Routes 711/381. Travel ten miles to Normalville and turn left onto Route 381 south. Travel past Fallingwater until you see the bridge over the Yough. The parking area for the Ferncliff Peninsula is on the right before you enter the Borough of Ohiopyle.

1The pencil-pushers at the State Capitol in Harrisburg recognised it as a 'State Park Natural Area' in 1992.2Who owned Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece 'summer home' Fallingwater a few miles away.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A666236

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more