A Week in Provence

0 Conversations

Basking under the warmth of the mediterranean sun, Provence is one of France's many popular summer holiday destinations. But when the August crowds have departed, it remains a beautiful and peaceful place to visit. Until the beginning of November, when the cold, dry Mistral blows in from the Alps, Provence remains pleasantly warm, with good weather. In fact, October is arguably one of the best times to visit as you escape from the tourist hordes and the sometimes uncomfortable heat of high summer.

Alres and Nimes

So what is there to do in the South of France in Autumn? The scenery remains picturesque, bathed in beautfully soft light which shows why so many artists, such as Van Gogh, have chosen it as a place to live and paint. Try miandering through the narrow streets of Avignon, Arles or Nimes (on the border of Provence and Languedoc). Arles and Nimes are both known for their wonderfully complete Roman amphitheatres. Both arenas are still in use today, hosting a variety of sporting events as well as bull fighting in the summer months (if this takes your fancy check that you are going to a bloodless match, unless your tastes run to the gory). It is well worth attending an event if you are able to, as this way you get a taste of what the atmosphere would have been like when the arenas were new, 2000 years ago. Arles is also home to a Roman theatre, which hosts open air performances, and assorted foundations devoted to the memory of Van Gogh, who lived in the town. Be warned, however, that none of these actually have any pictures by the great artist himself, but tend to contain works by other artists after his style.

Avignon

The Medieval town of Avignon is well worth lingering in for a few days. Home to typically Provencal winding streets and shuttered houses, Avignon is famous for the 'Pont d'Avignon' or Pont St-Benezet, which spans the Rhone. Only four arches of the original twenty two remain standing. It is possible to pay to walk on to the bridge, but by far the best views are from Rocer des Doms, a hill top park offering spectacular views of the hills around the city, or the Ile de la Barthelasse. This island, to the north west of the city, also gives the best views of the city walls and Palais des Papes. The Palais des Papes was built in the 14th century, when the Popes fled from Rome and took up residence in Avignon. It is worth visiting, as is the Cathedral de Notre Dame des Doms, which is next door. It is fronted by an impressive courtyard, which is also home to a selection of pleasant street cafes, a popular feature of the region. For shopping, Avignon's winding streets are cluttered with pleasant boutiques, with the potential for many happy hours of window shopping.

Marseilles

If your tastes run to somewhere more metropolitan, then visit France's second largest city, Marseilles. Situated by the sea, with 300 days of sunshine each year, Marseilles is particularly well-known for its seafood. The hordes of restaurants near the habour serve up that morning's catch. Be warned, however, that the shellfish will be served uncooked and live! For more squeamish diners, the area's boubillaise, or fish soup, is a less lively treat. The city's centre bosts a mix of boutiques and department stores (try around rue de Rome and Rue St-Ferreol) and some very good restaurants on cours Julien (le Resto Provencal is a great bet for sampling local cuisine). There are also some reasonable hotels in this area. Chateau d'If, the setting for Alexandre Dumas' 'The Count of Monte Christo', can be visited by boat. For the more energetic, get up early and attempt the Callelongue to Cassis, a beautiful and sometimes quite rugged coastal walk. Pack plenty of water and be prepared for some great views!

Marseilles is easy to get around using its Metro system (tickets can also be used on the bus service). The Metro is usually quite busy and is safe. Those on foot, however, should beware the Belsunce area at night.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A658866

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more