A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

TARDIS capabilities

Post 1

IctoanAWEWawi

So, just so I know how it would stand up in the F19585?thread=3956587 thread, what are the known defensive and offensive capabilities of the TARDIS?


TARDIS capabilities

Post 2

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Offensive? Err, none.

Defensive? Depends who's writing. It's either indestructible, or vulnerable to missile attack.

smiley - ale


TARDIS capabilities

Post 3

IctoanAWEWawi

what, absolutely none? I guess the stories have never seen it as that sort of vehicle hence never been required?

When/where/by whom was it susceptible to missile attack?


TARDIS capabilities

Post 4

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Well, the Doctor doesn't usually do space battles.

It was implied in Timelash (6th Doctor story) that if the Doctor hadn't done something clever and the Tardis had been hit by the Bandril's missiles it would've been destroyed.

But the third Doctor claimed it was indestructible, and the ninth at least implied that in Rose.

smiley - ale


TARDIS capabilities

Post 5

IctoanAWEWawi

True. It does seem to have somewhat changeable characteristics (no pun intended). Its sentience and loyalty/attachment seems to change as required as well.


TARDIS capabilities

Post 6

Researcher 3547123

I was always under the impression (can't remember where I heard it) that only the doorway was in this dimension and the inside of the Tardis was in a different dimension. Obviously not a theory that the current writers go with.


TARDIS capabilities

Post 7

Jozcoz

Parting of the Ways:
"Rose: The Tardis hasn't got any defences - you'll kill him
Dalek: You have predicted correctly"

42:
It survives the rediculously hot room

Tardi (the official plural of tardis) operate in a "state of grace" meaning no guns can be fired inside ... but the doctors hasn't done that for years (also in the parting of the ways).


TARDIS capabilities

Post 8

IctoanAWEWawi

Would appear it is somewhat susceptible to Titanics as well!


TARDIS capabilities

Post 9

Hoovooloo


" a "state of grace" meaning no guns can be fired inside"

True... but contradicted by "Earthshock" - Cyberweapons fire in the console room.

Missiles were also an issue in "Bad Wolf".


TARDIS capabilities

Post 10

Xanatic

I guess it is a new take on the unstoppable vs unmoveable. What happens when something unsinkable hits something unbreakable?


TARDIS capabilities

Post 11

Jozcoz

Yes, but with regrads to the whole state of grace thing, the Doctor said that his "hasn't done that for years.


TARDIS capabilities

Post 12

Xanatic

I thought you might find it interesting to know that NASA are running a TARDIS research program.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070929164637.htm

smiley - winkeye


TARDIS capabilities

Post 13

Liftliker - Share And Enjoy

-Tardi (the official plural of tardis)-

Hmm. Not sure about that one...
It's not a Latin term, it's an acronym, so it wouldn't follow the pluralisation rules of a Latin word.

In all official fiction & on the show itself the plural is given as "TARDISes".

Is anyone else bugged when they see it written "Tardis"?


TARDIS capabilities

Post 14

Bagpuss

It does seem a bit wrong, but that's how it made it into the Oxford Dictionary.


TARDIS capabilities

Post 15

Liftliker - Share And Enjoy

The subtitles on the new series DVDs also spell it "Tardis" rather than "TARDIS" & that jars with me a little. RTD being the huge Doctor Who fan he is, I figured he'd say something.
Then again, there's a few other oddments in the subbies. In the episode "The End of the World", the Moxx of Balhoon's line about the "Bad Wolf scenario" is misrepresented & I seem to recall Jabe & her cohorts reading as coming from the Forests of Cheam, presumably in the Borough of Sutton, rather than another planet...


Key: Complain about this post