A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

timeless designs

Post 1

U7600750 Banned alt ID 4

RTD says sci-fi spaceship design *should* reflect the time it was 'written' in, his reasons being that it's unavoidable anyway (he says there's never been a timeless design) and , in his words "why?" make a timeless design.

I think his opinion is debatable. His "why?" comment is not an argument for or against creating a timeless design anyway, and historically, certain designs have, if not been timeless, at least stood the test of time better than others, and the most timeless of designs become iconic and influential.


timeless designs

Post 2

Mister Matty

Not so much "why" as "how"? I don't see how you could create a design that's "timeless" in any way. The rocketships of the 1930s "Flash Gordon" serials look hockey now but there was nothing kitsch about them at the time, they were designed to look like a credible version of futuristic travel. What was Davies making this point in relation to, btw?


timeless designs

Post 3

U7600750 Banned alt ID 4

>>What was Davies making this point in relation to, btw?

It was on the COnfidentail, all about past spaceship design on Who.

>>I don't see how you could create a design that's "timeless" in any way.

How about a spaceship which is bigger on the inside than on the outside, and can change its outer appearance?

I thought it was odd that he should be talking about designs being of their time, when the ship in the last episode could have come out of the 70's.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more