With Apologies To Roger Waters...

0 Conversations

...The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking.

Pro's

1)You get to see a great deal of your country without having to bother with all the trivial aspects of automobile--gas, insurance, maintainence, parking, etc.

2)It is a great opportunity to see many new and interesting things outside the square box of suburban, middle class life.

3)The people you meet are surprisingly friendly, and very free with stories of the open road--with the expected and the unexpected intertwined.

Con's

1)State Police. The have a job to do, and will not hesitate to do it.

2)Rain

3)Robbery

4)Uncertian sleepy conditions

5)Very few opportunites to bathe.

6)Sore feet


There you have it. Laid out like that, it doesn't look like much. And on a certian level of "seen this, did that" it isn't. Much, that is.
But when you read between the lines, and actually take to the open road with a few dollars in your pocket and the expectation of adventure firmly clenched in you teeth, there is so much more.
First of all lets examine the first pro involved with hitchhiking. There is probably alot of your home country that you haven't seen, and will never see should you live 100 years. Take my home country for instance. There is so much tucked away in the here and there of America, that it would take a 10 year holiday to see it all--once. True alot of it is very repetative, even when seen from the road. But just when you least expect it, something new pops up and grabs your attention. Like the example of road signage. Interstate signs, and even state highway signs are pretty similar.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A652574

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more