Euphonium

1 Conversation

Looks like a small tuba, sounds like a trombone on vallium, mistakenly referred to as a baritone by too many people, smells like... well, brass. It is the euphonium. The greatest and most sonorous of all instruments, the name comes from the greek euphonous(?), or beautiful sounding, a related word being euphoria (the state in which a euphonium soloist exists during performances). The euphonium has a range extending from the b-flat below the bass clef up through three octaves the sound of the euphonium can be mistaken by the untrained as that of a tuba, a french horn, a trombone, or even a cornet or trumpet. But the wholesome, low, dark sound of this instrument is unique and beautiful.

Physically the instrument looks like a dwarfed tuba, and is used for to cover the tenor tuba parts in orchestral works (such as those of Wagner) as a result of this. The instrument is brass, can have anywhere from 3 through 5 valves, and has conical tubing. If the tubing is cylidrical the instrument is a baritone - there is a difference.

Compositions for this beautiful instrument, sadly, are few and far between. Soloists tend to resort to playing trombone, tuba, or bassoon works as a result. Vaughn Williams, Holst, and Sousa regularly included the Euphonium in their works with some of the most beautiful solos for this instrument being found in the Planets suite (can anyone say Jupiter?) and the Military Suite in F by Holst.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A647714

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more