The Zatoichi Sword Cane (ChenChao-Po Swords)

0 Conversations

The Zatoichi sword cane is based on the sword-cane of Zatoichi, the blind swordmsan featured in several Japanese films. ChenChao-Po, a well-known Chinese sword company, offers a reproduction of this weapon.

The sword itself is a long, single edged straight bladed sword. The blade is a style called "hira zukuri," which is uncommon in Japan, though before the curved blades normally seen on katanas now were in use, it was more common.

The blade of the sword is carbon steel, not stainless, which is a good thing, as far as quality goes. The blade is decent quality metal, and better than many you may find for a similar price. However, it is not a high-quality forging. It has a fake temper line, and is mass-produced.

While the handgrip is long and intended for two hands, the tang of the sword does not run the full length of the handgrip. Actually hitting things with the sword causes the seam of the wooden handgrip to start to split, though not immediately. The wood doesn't split apart in a violent instant upon impact; the seam becomes visible, and if it's used frequently, it may well come apart.

The smooth black wood used for the wooden sheath and the handle is very soft and light, and easily damaged, even aside from the seam. A casual bang against something hard is likely to dent or scar the wood.

Overall, this sword is a good show or costume piece, and is decently functional, but is not a high-quality forging. The price for it tends to be quite fair, ranging from $60-$100 USD at the time of this writing. It is superior in blade quality, if not handgrip quality, to most katanas available for a similar price, most of those being made of stainless steel, and many of them including a plastic tsuba. (Handguard.) The sword is also heavier in the hands than the average katana, which may or may not suit you.

Online Retailers Which Sell the Zatoichi:
http://www.swords.com
http://www.swords-n-stuff.com

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A623305

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more