The impact that the kilt has had on Scotsmen’s feet.

0 Conversations

Although men in other countries do not always wear trousers the Scots are the only race in the world who wear a skirt which just about covers their knees. On a recent visit to Scotland I couldn’t help noticing the amount of men’s shoes and sock shops that there were.

The reasons for this obsession in shoes and socks are quire obvious:- Unlike men in trouser cultures who can get away with not changing their socks on a regular basis, the high visibility of a kilted mans leg-wear literally forces them to have to change them more frequently, sometimes even more than once a day.

Many choose a low profile design, aimed at minimizing the lower leg, so not to distract form the kilt itself. The basic theory is that if you have spent so much money, time and effort in putting on a kilt you don’t really want people admiring your sandals.

Others believe that the leg-wear is just as important as the kilt, this has led to a new tendency by Scots teenagers of shorter kilts, highly polished boots and socks with an upward pointing arrow design.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A6206528

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more