GUTs and TOEs

0 Conversations

Physicists would like to be able to describe everything in the universe with one simple, beautiful theory, just a few basic ideas and equations.

We are partly some way towards achieving this.

Current theories suggest that all matter in the universe is made up of 12 particles, 6 quarks and 6 leptons. And for each of these matter particles, there is a corresponding anti-matter particle, which is the same but in reverse.

The everyday matter we live with is made of just 3 of these; two quarks, up and down, which make up the protons and neutrons which form the nucleus of all atoms; and one of the leptons, the electron. Another of the leptons, the electron anti-neutrino, an anti-matter particle, is involved in beta radioactive decay.

And these particles interact using just 4 forces: the Strong force, which binds quarks to other quarks and holds protons, neutrons and nuclei together; the Electro-Magnetic force, which binds nuclei to electrons and holds atoms, molecules and you and I together; the Weak force, which is involved in Beta Decay and allows neutrinos to interact with matter; and Gravity, which keeps us on the planets and holds planets, stars, Solar Systems, Galaxies and the Universe together.

Unfortunately this is not simply enough. Why are there 2 families of 6 particles? Why are there 4 forces? Why do the particles have the masses that they have? There are too many arbitrary values; it would be much simpler if all these numbers could be derived from a few equations.

Michael Faraday started it all by showing that electricity and magnetism were facets of the same thing. Albert Einstein had a go by showing that space, time, gravity and acceleration are all relatedsmiley - . Particle Accelerators have demonstrated that at high enough energies electro-magnetism and the weak force become one, the electro-weak force. And at even higher energies the Strong force and the electro-weak force merge.

It is this unifying of the Strong, Electro-magnetic and Weak forces and the idea that all matter is made up of just 12 particles, which can be grouped into 2 families of 6, each family containing 3 pairs, that is described by Grand Unified Theories or GUTs.

But Physicists want a Theory Of Everything, a TOE. The search for this can be summed up by the attempt to merge Gravity with the other three forces. Unfortunately the two successes of the 20th century, Quantum Mechanics; which describes the way the 12 particles and the three forces behave; and General Relativity; which describes Gravity; are very different beasts. A TOE would merge these two.

Some work has been done towards this though. Quantum Theories of Gravity and Super-Symmetric String theories are a move towards a TOE and may even have a bearing on Human (and Animal) Consciousness.

But don't imagine that a TOE is just around the corner. At the end on the 19th century Physicists thought they were close to a Theory of Everything, once they had dealt with a couple of issues, "two dark clouds on the horizon" as Ernest Rutherford termed them. One was the Photo-Electric effect, which was a foundation for Quantum Mechanics, and the other was the orbit of Mercury, which was a foundation of General Relativity. And both of these generated more questions than they did answers!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A616637

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more