Whose Line Is It Anyway? - The Improvisation Show

1 Conversation

A film projector and a screen

Whose Line Is It Anyway? is a British improvisation comedy show. It ran for 10 years from 1988 to 1998 in Britain, and has recently moved to the United States, where the show continues. It features four performers on each show, who must improvise scenes on the spot in a variety of different games.

The Hosts

The British show was hosted by Clive Anderson, an amazingly witty man who always knew when to stop a game. He enjoyed poking fun at the American contestants and saying witty one-liners. His most popular catch phrase was "You have that in America, right?". His witty remarks were a highlight of the show, and his banter with the performers was always hillarious. He would introduce each performer in a cleverly funny way at the beginning of each show, and would end each show by saying "This just reminds me to thank (Performer 1), (Performer 2), (Performer 3), (Performer 4), Richard Vranch at the piano, and me Clive Anderson saying goodnight. Goodnight."

The American show is hosted by comedian Drew Carey, a funny, friendly guy who also stars in the American TV show The Drew Carey Show. In addition to being the host, he is also an Executive Producer. His interaction with the audience is a highlight of the show, and he focuses much more on making the audience a part of the games. He begins each show standing in the crowd as he introduces each performer and says "Come on down, let's have some fun." In addition, unlike his predecessor Clive Anderson, Drew actually becomes a performer for the last game, allowing the winner to become the host for the game. Many favor Clive Anderson over Drew Carey, however, none doubt that Drew is an amazingly funny guy who makes a great host.

The Regular Performers

There have been well over 50 performers in total who have appeared on Whose Line Is It Anyway?, including such greats as Peter Cook and Robin Williams. However, listed here will be the regulars and semi-regulars.

Ryan Stiles - American comedian, is believed to have appeared on more episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? than any other performer. He has been on the show since the second season and has appeared in every season since. In addition to being a performer on "Whose Line?", he has most recently become an Executive Producer. He plays Lewis on The Drew Carey Show. Usually, he is paired up with Canadian comedian Colin Mochrie.

Colin Mochrie - This bald comedian from Canada has possibly been the second most frequent contestant on Whose Line?. In the beginning, he was shy and did not stand out much. However, his style soon began to show, and he became a regular. Now, along with Ryan Stiles and Wayne Brady, he is a permanent contestant. One of the most infamous things he is known for is finding funny ways to get out of a scene, such as running away or fainting. He is almost always paired up with Ryan Stiles, as the two have amazing chemistry.

Wayne Brady - One of the most talented improvisers ever to appear on the show, his major talent is for musical games. He can improvise any song in any style right on the spot, and make it sound good. He also excels at impressions. The young African-American comedian helps bridge the gap to the younger audience on the American show. He is also one of the newest additions to the Whose Line Is It Anyway? cast, joining in the very last season of the British show. He is now a permanent contestant, and stars in his own show on ABC called "The Wayne Brady Show."

Josie Lawrence - This British lady has been with the show since the very first episode. She is adept at everything from singing to acting and can do just about anything. She is now a popular performer in Britain, and is the only British performer to appear on the American show (once).

Tony Slattery - One of the highlights of the British show, Tony had an amazing wit. His humorous style was often lewd and obscene. He was one of the most popular performers on the British show, but has not returned for the American shows. It has been said that his style of improvisation is "too risque" for American network television. He did another improvisation show with Mike McShane called "S and M."

Mike McShane - Humorous...happy...humongous...the American Mike McShane was one of the most talented singers to appear on the British show. For unknown reasons, he has never appeared on the American version of Whose Line? He has had guest appearances on Seinfeld, ER, The Drew Carey Show, and many other TV shows. He also had small roles in "Riche Rich," "A Bug's Life," "Office Space," and other movies, and played Muff Potter in "Tom and Huck."

Under construction...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A590816

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more