Lemurs

4 Conversations

What are Lemurs?1


Lemurs have a bizarre appearance that has provoked different reactions from humans from "Let's kill them because they are bad omens" to "Awww... how cute!." A lemur's body is similar to a small monkey, but its face is longer (more like a rodent or dog). Their eyes tend to seem large for the size of their head giving them a look as if staring. Lemurs are prosimians2. Prosimi is a Suborder of the Order Primate. Humans also belong to the Order Primate, but are in the Suborder Anthropoidea and Superfamily Hominoidea. That means all Prosimi share the first four taxonomic classifications (Kingdom, Phylum, Class, and Order) with humans. Some people call all Prosimi "lemurs" but actually there are many Suborders and Superfamilys of Prosimi each with their own common name. Lemurs are classified as Suborder Strepsirhini and Superfamily Lemuroidea (there are 5 Families, 14 Genera, and about 55 Species of currently living lemur).

Where are Lemurs?


Lemurs evolved on Madagascar where the native word for lemur literally translates into "What's that!". Madagascar has the only natural population of lemurs in the world. However, the second largest lemur population is at Duke University's Primate Center where you can find more information on taxonomy and specific species than you ever thought possible.

What do Lemurs do?


Some lemurs stay in trees, and some live on the ground. As a matter of fact, despite being less developed, Lemurs fill just about every niche that a primate can. It is speculated that evolution of primates stopped on Madagascar, while it continued elsewhere, because there are no "great" predators (only 9 species of carnivore in total) and therefore less competition.

Lemur food


Lemurs eat mostly fruit and leaves, but a few species eat some insects.

Lemur sex


Within most species male and female Lemurs have similar markings. Gestation of a 30-150 days (depending on the species) will bring, typically, two new lemurs into the world.

Lemur issues


Many species of lemur are endangered (17, actually), including the Black Lemur3, the Aye-Aye4, and the Hairy-Eared Dwarf Lemur5 (no, really that's what they are called)
1This section contains a lot of Taxonomy2"Before Simians"3Eulemur macaco has two sub species: flavifrons and macaco4Daubentonia madagascariensis5Allocebus trichotis

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A585560

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more