Tottenham Hotspur Football Club was founded in 1882. The club is named after the Shakespearian character, Harry Hotspur.
The club play at White Hart Lane on the Tottenham High Road in London. They are the only team to have won the FA Cup as a non-league side in 1901. They entered the Football League in 1908.
Spurs have a reputation for attacking, flowing football however that has not been the case in more recent years. That could change in the near future after the return of the prodigal son, ex-player Glenn Hoddle as manager. The most successful years at the club were enjoyed under the management of Bill Nicholson, another former player who became manager in 1958. Two seasons later he led the side to the 'Double'1 making them the first side to complete this achievement in the 1900s. In a period that became known as the 'Glory Glory' years, the club went on to become the first British football team to win a European trophy in 1963.
Tottenham are the archrivals of Arsenal FC
. The 2 stadiums are separated by the Seven Sisters Road although Arsenal are planning to move to a new stadium in the foreseeable future. The games between the sides are known as the North London derby.
Major honours won by the club
- Football League Champions 1950-51, 1960-61.
- F.A. Cup Winners 1900-01, 1920-21, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1966-67, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1990-91.
- Football League Cup Winners 1970-71, 1972-73, 1998-99
- European Cup-Winners' Cup Winners 1962-63.
- UEFA Cup Winners 1971-72, 1983-84.
- F.A.Charity Shield Winners 1920-21, 1951-52, 1961-62, 1962-63, 1967-68 (joint), 1981-82 (joint), 1991-92 (joint).