The Slim on Shady

2 Conversations

Whether he is loved, hated, or simply tolerated, there can be little doubt that Motorcity1 rap-star Eminem -- variously known by his alter ego, Slim Shady, or by his given name, Marshall Mathers -- has made a mark on the music industry. A young white American male with a Detroit accent and displaying a f**k-the-world attitude, Mathers has no reservations when it comes to challenging authority and throwing the rules back in the appalled faces of the rule-makers, both in music and in life. Although some would contend that the two cannot be realistically compared, Mathers' impact leading up to and beginning the 21st century has been compared to that of Elvis Presley in the 1950s and 1960s.

Marshall Mathers

The phenomenon known to most of the world as Eminem was born Marshall Bruce Mathers the Third, on 17 October 19722. Marshall's father left his mother, Deborah Mathers Briggs, a few months after Marshall's birth.

Although he was born in Kansas city Missouri, Marshall and his family -- which included himself, his mother, and later, his younger half-brother Nate -- moved around a lot between Kansas city and the Detroit area. As a result of the multiple moves and the constant changing of schools, Marshall's social skills suffered, and he became a prime target for encounters with school bullies. Once, Marshall spent ten days in a hospital, comatose, after such an encounter.

The young Marshall found a good friend in Ronnie, Deborah's younger brother. Though Ronnie was Marshall's uncle, they were close in age, and Ronnie helped to foster the younger boy's interest in rap and freestyling, listening to NWA and 2Live Crew, as well as other favourites such as the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Run DMC and Ice-T. The two were very close, and Ronnie's suicide in 1993 was a devastating blow to the young rapper.

This article is incomplete. If you have additional information for the author, or would like to question or comment or suggest, please post to the forum.

2001/07/04

1ie Detroit, MI2Some sources cite 1974 as Mathers' birthdate.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A571358

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more