Mammography

0 Conversations

What is it?

An X-ray procedure used to examine the breasts for early signs of cancer. It can detect tumpours and cysts when are are still undetectable by manual examination. It is not foolproof and is best combined with periodic manual examination, where the individual is aware of changes in the breast.

What happens during it?


You will be asked to remove any jewelery and to undress from the waist up. A doctor will normally examine your breasts manually before the mammography feeling for any unusual lumps and checking for such things as inversion of the nipple, discharge from the nipple or dimpling of the skin over the surface of the breast.

Does it Hurt?

How long does it take?

Any side-effects?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A570944

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more