Driving Safely - Assessing Sharp Bends

0 Conversations



[This entry has been deleted by the h2g2 Editors because it describes a dangerous technique, and describes it incorrectly.]

As modern cars become faster and provide more sporty performance it is increasingly important for the driver to understand how to negotiate corners safely. Not only will they improve their control of the vehicle, but they may also prevent an accident. This Entry describes an advanced cornering technique that is easy to learn. It work on a tried and tested optical trick discovered by motor racing drivers in the 1930s, and it has been used ever since by those in the know.

The best part is that it costs nothing; it just takes a little practice and the willingness to try it. This technique will make a safe driver safer, but sadly it cannot convert a reckless driver - they will still be a dangerous menace.

How To Do It

This is what to do:

  • As you approach any bend in the road pick out two features, one on each side of the road. These features should be as close to the kerb and as prominent as possible. As you get used to the idea you will be able to tell if the things on either side of the road are moving, and in which direction. Any feature will do — a tree, bush, fence post, lamp, or road sign. In fact, almost anything will do.
  • As soon as you notice the bend, start to look for the roadside features.
  • If the landscape is bland or confusing just look at the bushes etc on each side, and observe how they seem to move in relationship to each other. You can also regard each side as the object, it takes a little practice but as soon as you notice how you will never forget. This technique works best on rural roads with bends or combinations of bends.

Now you are ready to try.

How It Works

At first just observe the optical effect as you drive through a bend at normal speed or better still view it as a passenger.

  1. If the features you have chosen appear to move towards each other, you are going too fast. Driver reaction: Slow down until the features stop appearing to move together or appear static.
  2. If the features appear static and do not move, your speed is appropriate for the bend.
    Driver reaction: You can maintain your speed. Remain aware that you should slow down if speeding or the vehicle feels unbalanced.
  3. If the features appear to move away from each other, you could at your discretion go a little faster.
    Driver reaction: You can maintain your speed, or go a little faster if the road conditions allow. You should slow down if the vehicle starts to feel unbalanced.

You must make allowances for road conditions, especially slippery roads, and you must make allowances for hidden obstructions (parked cars, animals or cyclists). This is intended to assist you and make the roads safer, not to allow you to drive faster.

It must be stressed that this only works if you are driving at normal speeds appropriate for the road and conditions. The technique does not encourage excessive speed nor will it cure bad driving.

Why It Happens

If the corner is out of your sight1,

  1. The chosen features will appear to move together if it is becoming more acute,
  2. The chosen features will appear to remain static if it is continuing without becoming more acute, or
  3. The chosen features will appear to move away from each other if it is continuing and the road is straightening.

This works 100% of the time with either right- or left-hand drive vehicles, including motorcycles. It is of immense help on strange roads and, if used with care, it will prevent you from being caught out by unexpected sharp bends.

Who Uses This

Various organisations use this technique, including:

  • The UK Police driving schools
  • Many armed forces around the world
  • Advanced driving schools

Remember, drive safely wherever you are.

1In other words, you can't see around the bend.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A56209188

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more