Mackinac Island, Michigan, USA

1 Conversation

Note: This entry is in progress...

A small holiday-resort island, eight miles in perimeter, located in Lake Huron between the main Michigan 'mitten' and the Upper Peninsula.

Perhaps the most important piece of information you need to know about Mackinac Island, if you are to avoid severely annoying its inhabitants, is that it is pronounced the French way. That is to say Mackinaw rather than Mackinack.

A Step Back in Time


The Island is famous for a number of its traditions, and is generally visited by those who have heard of one of them. They are often somewhat surprised to find out about the others.

Cars


There are no cars allowed on the island. Transport is either by pedal-power or by horse-drawn carriage. Being a holiday island, this leads to the sometimes 'interesting' confrontations between disgruntled taxi drivers and people who have just climbed aboard a bicycle for the first time in thirty years.

The Grand Hotel


The most famous building on Mackinac is the Grand, a magnificent piece of work visible from the mainland. If you aren't booked into a room there, then it will cost you more than $10 per person to get in and look around.

If you aren't wearing suitably sophisticated attire, then you won't be let in at all.

Somewhere In Time


The Grand was the main location for filming of the 1980 film Somewhere in Time, starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. This has lead to fans of the film making the occasional pilgrimmage, and it is almost impossible to avoid hearing myriad music boxes playing its theme: Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

There is even a plaque on the island's boardwalk marking where the first meeting of Reeve's and Seymour's characters takes place.

Fudge


The island is famous for its fudge production. Possibly the most commonly-asked question of those who work there is 'who makes the best fudge'. Hence, the affectionate term used by island residents to describe tourists: 'Fudgies'.

Fort Mackinac


At various points in its history, the island has been occupied by the French, the British, and (of course) those troublesome Americans. The story of the Fort is a fascinating one, and many records still exist that allow the days of its occupation to be recreated. A must-see for any visitor to the island.

Although the fort itself is the focus of the historic interest on Mackinac, there are many other buildings dotted around that help to give the complete picture.

And There's More...

  • The Lilac Festival - Held annually in early- to mid-June. Very colourful, very energetic. It's everything the name 'Lilac Festival' promises to be.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A561331

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more