slint

0 Conversations

Ahhhhh, the countless hours that have been spent listening to rock 'n' roll. Few resonate with the clarity of 'that first slint moment'. A group of friends from Louisville, Kentucky got together to make original music in the late eighties. Little did they know that years after their demise people from all around the world would be posting on sites such as this about the profound effect their music has had on them.

The first I heard of slint was the song "Good Morning Captain" which was featured on the 'KIDS'(1996) soundtrack (although on later inspection appears not to feature in the film). After hearing the song once, saying to my mate 'how did they do that?' I promptly wanted another serving: the song was listened to again and again and again and STILL the song was a complete surprise to me. Soft bits where you would expect loud bits, louder bits when you thought they had already cranked it to 11, in short the full package.

Tracking down more slint stuff wasn't as hard as i thought it would be but i was dismayed when i discovered that the band had split up in 1991 soon after the recording of their swansong/epitaph/piece of resistence (what ever you want to call it) the album 'spiderland' which 'Good Morning Captain' was taken from. The angular beauty and complex simplicity of '....Captain' is indicative of this whole album, but there is so many more areas of shade begging to be explored that this album was on my stereo for about 2 months after i first purchased it.

spiderland is in many ways the 'perfect' slint album, the dynamics are always spot on, lyrically it is enigmatic without being impenetrable, in my experience it stands up to many many repeat listenings because all the songs fit together so well. The recordings that had preceeded it were 'tweeze', recorded in 1987 but still so innovative now in the 21st Century, and an untitled single featuring two moody, lengthy, rewarding and excellent instrumentals.

Thankfully I wasn't the only one who discovered slint around this time and nowadays there are a number of websites dedicated to the band, their music, the bands they created afterward and the music that was created then.

I'm by no means the world authority on this band, but if you want to find out more click on to this link

http://altmusic.about.com/musicperform/altmusic/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/2142/slindex.html

happy trails, traveller

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A559208

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more