How to Survive Conventions, part one: First Con

1 Conversation

For any hardcore nutball of a fan, going to a convention celebrating that which you are a fan of is the penultimate experience in life...the ultimate being really good mashed potatoes with just the right amount of butter...yum.

For the past two years, I have had the distinct pleasure of attending the Xena convention held every year at the Delta Orlando Resort, Orlando, FL, USA. As a side note, all of my tips and pointers are good for any convention: Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Star Trek, whatever. <smiley>

I've not attended conventions anywhere else (or FOR anything else), the biggest and most anticipated of the Xena events being the one held in Pasadena, California. A little part of me is grateful for the smaller, more intimate atmosphere of the Orlando conventions.

My first convention was in 1999. I had dipped my toes in the water of the fandom a few years before by joining a mailing list devoted entirely to Renee O'Connor (Gabrielle - the front page can be found at http://members.ync.net/pdunn/macgab/) and a message board and this convention was like I was diving in.

I didn't really know anyone, especially not my ride to the con: Evy, who is the Queen of the mailing list I had joined mere weeks before the con (http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_kewl) and her friend Dan. These people drove an hour in the opposite direction of Orlando to come get me, braving rabid rednecks and Vogons, and they had no idea if I was Hanna Lector or Miss Bo Peep...how incredible is that? Of course, they could have been Ed Gein for all I knew, but I decided to trust them anyway and lookit! I'm not dead yet.

We went to Universal Studios to go through the Xena themed attraction and met up with other KiwiKewlians and MacConnors. Right from the outset I was accepted as a part of the group, in spite of the stories that were being passed back in forth in fond remembrances of cons and fests long past that I had no idea about. I knew this was going to be a weekend I was never going to forget.

Even though I had spoken to a few con veterans, I wasn't prepared for the mayhem of the first day. Here are some tips for the burgeoning con goer, gathered from mistakes I made my first con trip:

1.) Get plenty of sleep before the con...you're not going to sleep much that weekend.
2.) Bring plenty of film and batteries...and use it! You might find that you're taking pictures of people who'll have a remarkable impact on your life and will turn out to be the best friends you've ever had.
3.) Bring a spare camera, but stay away from disposables unless absolutely necessary. I have to develop them, I know they're crap.
4.) It's a good idea to stay away from higher speed film - 800 speed is the WORST film you could possibly buy. It's grainy and you need a LOT of light. The only thing it's good for is moving shots. Take 200 or even 400 speed film. Fuji is the best film type out there. Kodak is good for sunsets/sunrises.
5.) Dress comfortably, not for looks. The average con goes from 11:00 AM til 7:00 PM. You don't want to be too hot in that press of bodies and you don't want your feet to hurt an hour into the con.
6.) There is no number six...
7.) Come with a set amount of money you're willing to spend. You're gonna want to buy something...believe me.
8.) Wear a name badge so people can recognize you by your screen name or so they can learn who you are.
9.) If you can't afford it, stay far away from the auctions!!!
10.) Don't be afraid of the fans... Some of them will be in costume and some are just plain scary looking anyway, but I've felt my safest in a Xena convention. However, feeling safe doesn't necessarily mean that your stuff is. Be careful with your money and your purchases.
11.) Bring little snacks. You don't really want to leave in the middle of the convention (or pay exorbitant prices) to get something to eat, right?
12.) Go to the bathroom before the guests come on stage.
13.) Have fun!! That's what you're there for!

It was a small, intimate convention, but I was surprised by the number of people squeezed into the convention room. I knew what Creation Entertainment was expecting, having set up chairs and folded shirts for them the night before with Tribe KiwiKewl, but it's still an almost daunting thing when you see the place filled with bodies and Xena shirts.

It's a good idea to try and see if the room or auditorium the convention is being held in is big or small. I bought the more expensive tickets when, for a general admissions ticket I could practically touch the guests...so long as I got past their security...

When taking pictures of guests at conventions, you want to try and get as close as the convention organizers will let you get. Sometimes, depending on the venue, even the closer rows aren't good enough. And if you're thinking about videoing a convention, check with the organizers' website first. They may not allow it. You might go ahead and do it anyway, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Again, overestimate in the amount of film you need. Only one in about a hundred pictures is any good. Tripods/monopods are a bother, but they lend the stability one needs if you have a bulky, heavy camera.

The first guest on the first day of the 1999 Xena convention was Danielle Cormack. She was unabashedly cute with the most adorable little Aussie accent...which could not be detected when she was Ephiny (Regent to the Amazon Queen, a.k.a. Gabrielle).

The second guest was the incredible hunk of a man named Kevin Smith (not the Jersey filmmaker, but the man who played Ares). Paint me gold and call me Oscar when the man opened his mouth and he, too, had an adorable Aussie accent. The things you learn at a convention.

He serenaded us by singing his song from the musical episode of Xena, "The Bitter Suite" (TPTB's way of tying up the Rift between Xena and Gabrielle), then, upon a question from an audience member, her busted out with "Sweet Transvestite" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I, being one of the biggest RHPS fans on earth, nearly fainted in joy.

Before, in-between and after the guests, there are mini-events such as auctions (of reproduced props, autographs, merchandise...things that would made a fan drool), trivia contests, videos (both fan made and stuff from on-set in New Zealand) and costume competitions. These are generally the times fans will mill about talking to people and buying things.

At the end of the convention day there is an autograph session with the guests willing to stay and do that. The organizers will kindly provide you with pictures to have signed...for $5 or $6 a pop (if you have a good printer, just download the picture you want, print it out and take it with you). I bought pictures of both Danielle Cormack and Kevin Smith for them to sign, but when I got in line, I decided that I wanted Kev (I can call him that because he doesn't know who I am ;) to sign something special for me.

Grudgingly, the Creation staffer let me get both my pic and my something special signed: I had Kev sign my Rocky Horror fan club card. I think it genuinely, and pleasantly, surprised him after all those pictures of him as Ares...a break from the norm for him. The bloody card hasn't left my wallet since. <smiley>

After the convention, one generally goes with their friends and listmates to dinner. Take your camera, an extra roll of film (for all those blackmail moments ;), and a pen & paper. You're gonna need the pen and paper to trade e-mails, URLs and even phone numbers, should you wish it.

After dinner, one generally goes with their listmates and friends to the bar in the hotel that's hosting the convention. My first year, I didn't do that, opting instead for sleep, and I missed Kevin Smith singing karaoke. Argh. Save yourself the aggravation...don't sleep.

After the bar, one goes back to their room and, depending on the time either grabs a few winks or showers and gets ready for the next day of the convention.

HOT TIP!!!!!!: If you're as positive as possible that you're going, and the event has special events such as a charity breakfast or a cabaret, ORDER YOUR TICKETS EARLY and GET THOSE SPECIAL TIX!!

The second day of the con is pretty much like the first except you go buy the item you were waffling about the day before, you know a little better what to expect, and the guest line-up changes.

The first guest of the second day of the con was Kevin Smith. He sang for us again, including "Sweet Transvestite."

The second guest was Claire Stansfield, who plays Alti Xena's new arch-nemesis since they wrote Callisto off the show. I didn't know what to think, loving the tension between Xena and Callisto and wondering at the flatness of this Alti character. I sat back and watched, but I'll tell you...my perceptions of Alti changed as soon as Claire stepped on the stage.

She's indescribably gorgeous, with looks like Anne Bancroft and highly kissable lips. She sparkles with intelligence and wit, thank God, and her good looks belie the caustic mouth that would strike fear into the heart of even the stoutest sailor. If there's a person out there who doesn't like her, they haven't seen her in person.

And who would have thought that, unless I had not gone to the convention, I would have gone on in my ignorant ways, not liking Alti and in turn, not liking Claire Stansfield.

The convention dwindled down and Xenites met in the lobby for last minute info swapping, picture taking and final farewells. If you have a long drive or flight ahead of you, I would suggest trying to stay another night, if possible, or perhaps plan for it in your trip itinerary. No need to kill yourself trying to get home to sleep, right?

As much fun as the big cattle fest conventions like Pasadena and NYC would be, they would lack the intimacy of the smaller conventions. I doubt, though it is possible, that some of the things that occurred during Orlando could have happened during those big cons. Each fan got to have even the smallest moment with people they watch on television every week, a moment that changed notions and sparked new ideas. Such connection couldn't have happened when folks are sent through lines like cows on a conveyor belt.

Don't gloss over a smaller con because it's small. Check out the guest list, see who's going from your mailing lists and clubs. You never know what'll happen, who you'll meet or how much fun you'll have.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A557679

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more