The West Highland Way, Scotland

1 Conversation

Introduction


The West Highland Way is most probably the busiest long-distance footpath in Scotland. It is a 93 mile hike from Milngavie 1 to Fort William, running through the heart of the Scottish Highlands. Some people also walk the Way from Fort William to Milngavie. This is unadvisable for hikers not well trained as the hiking then starts of rough and ends easy.
Most people take about a week to complete the walk averaging about 13 miles a day. The Way is easy to follow as it is clearly marked with the symbol of a thistle set in a hexagon.

Getting there


The West Highland Way starts in the center of town in Milngavie. But seeing as so many hikers arrive by train, the train station has become the unofficial starting point of the Way. There are regular trains from Glasgow Queen Street Station and Glasgow Central station to Milngavie. The trip take approximately 20 minutes. There is also a bus from Buchanan Street Bus Station (in Glasgow) to the station in Milgavie.

Preparations for the Way


Even though the Way is clearly marked it is prudent to have some sort of guide with you. This can be a book with a description of the route, a map etc.

The Way runs through the heart of the Scottish Highlands. Even though many people safely walk the Way every year, it is still a hike in deserted regions, with extremely changeable weather. There are some safety precautions that must be taken.

Along the Way

Ben Nevis


Some people think that the end of the West Highland Way is a bit of an anti-climax. That's why many people like to end of the footpath with the ascent of the Ben Nevis, Scotlands highest Munro.

Getting Home


There are coach and rail connections from Fort William to Glasgow. Or you can always walk back.
1 Milngavie is pronounced for some obscure reason as 'Mull-guy'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A554375

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more