~A~ Tribute to Douglas Adams

0 Conversations

The loss of our founder and icon came as a great shock to all at h2g2. Tributes from researchers can be found on Douglas' page of the Guide: DNA at h2g2

Further tributes from DNA's fans can be found at:

Pay Your Tribute Too

I've donated to the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, and so should you. Do it for Douglas... do it for the gorillas1... do it for the planet. But please, do it now!

If you want to know more about these incredible relatives of ours, please read Douglas' book Last Chance To See, and watch the film Gorillas In The Mist, all about Dian Fossey's work.

And the last word is from Douglas...

"It's a desperate thing, not only because another species is lost and the tragedy of that, but because I don't know why we keep building these f*****g dams... Not only do they cause environmental and social disasters, they, with very few exceptions, all fail to do what they were supposed to do in the first place. Look at the Amazon, where they've all silted up. What is the reaction to that? They're going to build another 80 of them. It's just balmy. We must have beaver genes or something. ... There's just this kind of sensational desire to build dams, and maybe that should be looked at and excised from human nature. Maybe the Human Genome Project can locate the beaver/dam-building gene and cut that out."


- Douglas Adams, April 2001, UCSB Daily Nexus

1Less than 650 left

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A549128

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more