Google hits - a suggested format

1 Conversation


A Google search for the name Turgenev on the 31st of August 2005 returned about 143,000 web pages. A search for the same name with an alternative spelling (Tegenev) returned four hits, four web pages from sites in Russia. A search for "Tegeniev" returned only two hits, both referring to the same page: www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A216631, the h2g2 Guide Entry on Nihilism1.

A Modest Proposal


It is hereby proposed, subject to general approval, that a format for "Google hits" should be standardised, so that the above information (for instance) could be summarised as follows:
  • Turgenev: g143k
  • Tegenev: g4
  • Tegeniev: g2
1The Nihilism entry has since been altered so that the reference is now to Turgenev; Tegeniev may be an equally good or even better transliteration of the author's name, but it is apparent from the Google search that it is not standard usage.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5407940

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more