The international banking crisis - a simple remedy for the future

0 Conversations

The international banking crisis could have been avoided, if bankers and regulators had long ago used a little foresight and common sense. Similar crises of the future could be avoided by introducing a new regulation:

It should be enshrined as part of international law, that all banks must transfer a fraction of their annual profits to a special international fund, used only for the purpose of insuring against bank failure. The fund might be established under the auspices of the World Bank.

If a bank was failing, like Northern Rock in the UK, it would be allowed to fail - just like any other privately owned, failing business; however, depositors would get all their money back from the insurance fund. Hence, the taxpayer/government would never be called upon to bail-out failed banks. Those who run the banks must be aware that it is possible to fail, with no prospect of salvation from the taxpayer; otherwise, they will be in a position to hold the taxpayer and government to ransom time and again - a situation which engenders serious "moral hazard".

At times when a bank does not make profit, it would pay nothing into the fund. This means that the largest and most profitable banks would tend to subsidise the smaller and less profitable ones - much as affluent owners of large, expensive cars tend to subside the insurance of smaller, cheaper cars.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A53724404

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more