Grouper

0 Conversations

I know this Grouper, he swam with us during the day, as friendly as a Golden Retriever, he seemed to enjoy being touched. He had made his appearance before the dive boat’s motors had stopped. He was about five feet long but looked larger when viewed from the dive deck. During the day he had remained with us, high in the water column, but now, at night, he seemed distracted, swimming purposefully around and through the corals staying very close to the sandy bottom. Though he still allows us to touch him, he clearly has other things on his mind. Losing interest in the Grouper, I sweep my powerful light beam around looking for other things to see. My beam falls upon a large Blue Angelfish who is not moving. “Probably asleep” I think and turn my head to see if my dive buddy sees the Angel I have spotlighted.
Suddenly, out of the darkness, comes the Grouper. He explosively inhales the Angelfish and swallows it in two gulps. Smaller fish rush in to peck at any pieces that might be left over but there aren’t any. The ferocity and suddenness of the attack by the Grouper was frightening. My dive buddy and I look at each other, I wonder what she is thinking. I turn my attention back to the reef spotlighting another fish who is swimming above a Coral formation. The Grouper strikes again! This time the fish escapes, albeit with some of his tail missing. I automatically followed the fleeing fish with my dive light. The grouper pins the hapless victim against the reef this time and eats him too. This is like aquatic falconry! I check my computer and realize it is time to head for the surface. I give my partner the up signal and we begin our slow ascent. After the safety stop we don’t head directly for the dive deck. We surface some distance from the boat and just float in the warm tropical night. The full moon is reflected in the water and the sky is filled with stars. We float and discuss the events we have witnessed below. Finally we head for the boat, the dive deck is an oasis of light on the dark, tranquil sea. Looking down I can see the lights of other divers moving over the Coral their lights piercing the darkness.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A536654

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more