Ormskirk, Lancashire

2 Conversations

Ormskirk is a market town in Lancashire in the North West of England, located near Southport. Ormskirk is a growing town and has a very long and interesting history.

WHATS IN ORMSKIRK?

Ormskirk town centre consists of many shops, these include Woolworths, Dixons, WHSmith, New Look, Home Bargains, Taylors (or Ormskirk), Thorntons, numerous cafés. On Thursdays and Saturdays there is a market in Ormskirk, which is very historic, and interesting to look around. Just outside the centre of Ormskirk a Safeway was built in about 1996, which is very busy most of the time!

In the year 2000, in the town centre, a new retail park was built. This has become home to McDonalds, Argos, Aldi, and What Everyone Wants. The McDonalds has also proved to be very popular for the rapidly growing Ormskirk.

There are a number of pubs in Ormskirk, including Disraeli's, and Arriba, which is a very popular club.

Ormskirk has a train station, with direct routes to Aughton, and further afield, Liverpool. There is also a large bus station, which provides easy links to all of the surrounding area.

The rest of Ormskirk is mainly residential areas, some old and quite a few new. There is a fire station on the main road (A59), and there are a few local corner shops. Ormskirk is right next to Aughton, they seemingly merge. Ormskirk has a hospital, which has now joined with Southport hospital, but still remains as it is.


ORMSKIRKS HISTORY

Ormskirk seems to have a long History. There are three churches in Ormskirk. The main 'parish church' has a very intriguing history. It has both a tower and a steeple, and this is because he steeple which was built was not big enough for a bell, so THE Henry the eighth made sure a new tower was built. The market is very old, and was started for local farmers to sell their produce before the supermarkets evolved. The market is still very popular, and is crowded on both the Thursday and Saturday in the week that it is open.



OTHER INFORMATION

Ormskirk has three secondary schools, Ormskirk Grammar School, Cross Hall High School, and St. Bedes Secondary School. Ormskirk Grammar and Cross Hall are in September this year (2001) merging to become 'Ormskirk School' and become a really big school. It had grants of over a million pounds from the government to fund this project. Also in Ormskirk is "Edge Hill University College", which is very popular, and a high result gaining university.

Ormskirk's telephone area code is 01695 (this is also the same for Aughton and Skelmersdale).

Oh, of course, Ormskirk has a town crier, another part of Ormskirk's history. He is always there for important events, including the annual Christmas Lights switch on.

THATS ORMSKIRK!

So, if you want to visit Ormskirk, get onto the M6 and drive in the direction of Lancashire (NW England). From the M6, Ormskirk is signposted, so it's easy to find.

For a guide to Ormskirk's night life, go here... http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A536627

THANKYOU TO...

A big thankyou goes to U102376 who has contributed to this article immensely. It wouldn't be this good otherwise! <ok>

U102376: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U102376

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A534133

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more