Kipp: Knowledge is power program

2 Conversations

Drooling maniacs, frustrated lunatics on the end of their rope, maniacs preaching their insanity to the next generations and people that just don't give a flying pig. These are terms often connected to public schools in the poorest, and well let's face it colourful districts. But these views may be antiquated in a couple of years. Do I hear a why ? Well due to a new educational program started by a Mr. Fineberg and Mr. Levin.

Mr. Fineberg and Mr. Levin were schoolteachers in a public school in Houston, Texas. Then one fateful day, they had had enough. They were fed up with students that didn't commit and co-workers that didn't care. So that night down they sat and wrote a proposal. Then bright and early next morning it was sent along to the educational department of Houston.

However the suits were doubtful, and begird much, yet some small core of sanity said: "OK, we'll give them a chance". If Fineberg and Levin could recruit 50 pupils into their program they would get funding (the green stuff, moolah, kwan, currency, liquid assets, the sweet green tender, a pretty penny and handsome dollar.... in short money) to start their project. So forth they went, like insurance salesmen, asking for bright young go-getters ( or in the absence of bright young go-getters, any children the household was currently in possession of) and generally being the annoying kind of people that knock on your door asking for things.
Since they were doing it for a greater good, that's OK. They managed to recruit 50 children and thus in Houston, Texas 1993 (some
day of the week, in some month) KIPP was born.

KIPP is an abbreviation of Knowledge Is Power Program. The program itself is simple and it's main purpose is to educate children properly . The glue that holds it together is commitment. Every single person (i.e. teacher, pupil, parent or school director) that teams up with KIPP must sign the Contract. The Contract is document that binds both parties to commit them selves 100% to the program, they must be 100% committed, have 0% slacking and 0% negative attitude. The school is active form 7:30-17:00 Monday to Saturday, and also one month in the summer. The contract binds pupils never to be late for or cut classes and parents to see that they are there on time.

KIPP went surprisingly well. The students in Houston have gone from 50 to 300 and a new school has opened in the Bronx and it has 285 students. A lot of the kids involved in the program are getting scholarships to excellent schools. What the project requires from everyone is hard work and commitment but the kids like it and the teachers are happy with the results and the response their getting from the children and their parents and feel it is positive. Although the teachers work a lot more then their peers at other schools they're getting the same pay (40.000-50.000 a year) but they are happy with it because their seeing results from their work at the school.


[it might be a lot better I know but I got bored at the end]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A529742

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more