Revolver - The Drinking Game

2 Conversations

Revolver is a drinking game best played with about 6 people. Its aim, as with any other, is to alleviate boredom in the pub while ensuring that the less-skilled members of your group become intoxicated at the expense and enjoyment of the more-skilled1.

A spirit or shot is bought for each person2 playing and the drinks are then placed on the table. They are arranged to create a circle with a gap left in the middle. Players then identify the glass nearest to themselves and the game begins.

Each player takes their turn in trying to bounce a small coin3 against the surface of the table and into one of the glasses. If this is achieved the player "owning" the glass has to down it in one (assuming there is still drink in it). The glasses are then revolved clockwise by one so that the drinker now has a new glass in front of them (it may or may not contain drink depending on how far into the game they are). The successful coin thrower gets to have another go.

  • If the coin only lands on the table, there is no forfeit and the player to the left becomes the new tosser.
  • If the coin lands in the hole in the middle of the glasses, all players must immediately slap their own forehead. The last person to slap themself finishes their drink off.
  • If the coin goes off the table the thrower finishes their drink off.

Anytime anyone finishes off, the glasses are revolved by one and the thrower has another go.

As the game progresses fewer and fewer glasses contain drink and therefore the skill becomes in targeting the glasses that are left. Skilled players learn to target particular glasses (and their owners) which can result in that person drinking almost all the drinks! Becoming skilled is really a matter of practice and as yet there are no coaching tips or advanced master classes to be taken.

The game eventually ends when all drinks have been finished and a new round needs to be bought.

1Skilled is a highly subjective term in this game, although players have been known to practice.2It's probably best to have a group kitty as people are not necessarily going to drink a particular drink. Different flavours can add interest (and the possibility of being sick). Playing with pints is for the "real men".3Preferably low denomination as it may get lost, and small as it may otherwise break the glasses. Smaller coins are usually lighter and therefore bounce better!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A528428

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more