Coffee Machines

1 Conversation

Coffee machines come in many forms, all with the common purpose of providing a cup of scorching hot caffeine infused drink in a disposable plastic (or sometimes polystyrene) cup.

Coffee machines (specifically ones in public spaces) provide the illusion of great choice and variety in the drinks they can produce, while at the same time maintaining a consistency in taste and quality between all the caffeine infused drinks on offer.

This accounts for why coffee from most machines also tastes like tea from most coffee machines. It also explains why hot choclate from many machines does not taste of anything at all in particular.

Sometimes if you are "lucky" you will come across a (modern) machine that produces a mock Italian drink called mochochino/expressochoc /chocomilk or some such amalgam of hot choclate and coffee.
These variations on a theme give you the option of getting something special while in actual fact only providing the same tasteless liquid in different shade of beige.
Please note you get a similar result by requesting cappacino, if its available.

There are also usually a number of ways you are persuaded you can modify your drink, with sugar, with extra sugar, without sugar, with milk, with extra milk, without milk, strong, weak, frothed or not frothed.. Adding sugar to a drink to effect the taste is an illusion, adding extra sugar doublely so, especially if you also have your drink frothed.

There is circumstantial evidence that these choices do have an effect on the drink produced but this evidence can be easily disputed by the actual experience of sampling a drink from any coffee machine.

After years of research and development, thousands upon thousands of man hours of work and millions if not billions of pounds/dollars/yen of money spent to create a decent cup of caffeine infused drink, the jury is still out on whether coffee machines produce a product resembling coffee, tea or hot choclate in a palatable form.

Coffee machines (specifically ones in public spaces) are a intregal part of modern life, walk into any office building or place of business and you will find them hiding in a corner waiting to serve.
Without coffee machines there would be no insomniac office workers to keep the world of commerce moving. Without coffee machines there wouldn't be millions upon million of used plastic cups filling landfills sites across the world.

To summerize if you like the taste of coffee and/or tea or indeed hot chocolate you are unlikely to be satisfied with the resultant liquid that is produced when purchasing a drink from one of the many million coffee machines currently in existence.
If on the otherhand you are satisfied with your coffee machine drink you purchased, you obviously haven`t tasted a proper caffeinated drink in years. Or alternatively you have discovered one of the few mythic decent coffee machines spotted about that legends speak of.










Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A523207

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more