A Conversation for Zaphodista Army of Cybernautic Liberation

dont panic button

Post 1

Burn

I found the "don't panic button" at " this is NOT alink to we know where this is /h2g2/skins/Classic/images". It's still there, although they don't seem to use it.

Strange....

VIVA ZAPHODA! smiley - pirate


dont panic button

Post 2

Deidzoeb

Wow. Thanks, Burn. Can we get in trouble for using these images? (Maybe other old ones on that page too?)


dont panic button

Post 3

Burn

I just looked up the "house rules" (paska, that sounds like a teacher or a nerd, why do I have to look up "house rules" when I want to display the don't panic button on h2g2 ???) and saw nothing, that would be against using the old don't panic button, it's just a link and it is even within h2g2's own webspace.

smiley - pirate


dont panic button

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

The problem, of course, is that it hasn't been assigned a "blob" number, and that's the only (official) way to show a graphic at the moment...


dont panic button

Post 5

Almighty Rob - mourning the old h2g2

Before the guide went down, the change to a "Help!" button was discussed. I argued strongly against it (as did many others) but in the end the decision was made because a lot of people didn't know what it referred to and it was preventing them from getting help.

But there *was* talk about including it in a third skin - a hhgttg skin for die-hard fans. Hope that wasn't sidelined by the BBC...

Rob.


dont panic button

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

The counter-argument to that was that they expect users to know that clicking on the logo brings you to the front page, without mentioning it anywhere or feeling the need to splash the words "FRONT PAGE" or "HOME" across it... Why couldn't they just have put "HELP" as the "alt" text for the "Don't Panic!" button?


dont panic button

Post 7

Almighty Rob - mourning the old h2g2

The counter-counter argument is that there is a separate Front Page button, and that clicking on the logo to return you to the home page is quite common around the internet - Don't Panic! is not.

But I do support its return to the Guide. Everything interesting is being removed smiley - sadface


dont panic button

Post 8

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Actually, Rob, in Goo there *isn't* a seperate front page button, and that's where "Don't Panic" is missed the most... smiley - biggrin


dont panic button

Post 9

Almighty Rob - mourning the old h2g2

Ah, again Peet I have ignored my Gooey brethren.

And with that knowledge I am even more firmly placed in the "bring back Don't Panic!" camp.

Cheers,
Rob.


dont panic button

Post 10

Deidzoeb

Peet, by a separate front page button, do you mean the h2g2 logo to the right of the BBC Online logo in the upper left corner of the screen? I'm looking at this discussion in goo skin right now, and it shows the h2g2 logo, which links to the front page.

As for the Don't Panic versus "Help" button, I don't think these buttons take up so much space that they couldn't both be fit in. My suggestion is to have DON'T PANIC at the top, and HELP! either down at the bottom in that mess of disclaimer crap, or else listed in the other important links down the side (My Space, Read, Talk, Contribute, etc.)


dont panic button

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

In post 7, Rob said there was a button apart from that one; I was just pointing out that's only the case in Alibaster... smiley - smiley


dont panic button

Post 12

Deidzoeb

Okay, that makes sense now. I also noticed that Alabaster has the drop down menu to find all the other BBC Online sections, but it's missing from Goo! [Another good reason to use Goo.]


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more