A Conversation for Mitochondria - Power plants of the cell

sperm vs mitochondria

Post 1

xyroth

The last paragraph is a little obtuse. It could be written to say that "just as the male line is passed down in the (is it X or Y) chromasone, the female line gets passed down in the mitochondria. You can not use the female chromasone (the other one, Y or X) as the basis for genealogical studies as girls get one from their father and one from their mother. The mitochondria let you get around this making archialogical genetics easier."


sperm vs mitochondria

Post 2

Huw (ACE)

Well, no, you couldn't really because mitochondrial DNA is not identical to somatic DNA.


sperm vs mitochondria

Post 3

xyroth

It doesn't have to be, all that has to happen is that it be passed from mother to daughter, and that it be readable, and you can reconstruct the female line in the same way that you construct the male line from the male chromasome.
Once you have the male and female lines, you can use comparisons with ancestors to say which grandparents the other genes came from.


sperm vs mitochondria

Post 4

Huw (ACE)

Ah - I think I misunderstood your first post. You're quite right. Sorry about that!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more