Spaghetti

1 Conversation

From spaghetti hoops on toast hastily thrown together by a student and microwaved so that only the edges are hotter than the sun, to the finest carbonara prepared by the same student's Italian flatmate, spaghetti more than any other foodstuff is what holds civilisation together.

Just think how quickly anarchy would have set in if we were forced to eat tomato-based sauce straight off the plate rather than spread deliciously over noodles.

And think of the wars that this humble pasta has caused. Surely the Roundheads and Cavaliers could have agreed to coexist in peace respecting the others' right to choose spaghetti over tagliatelli and vice versa.

Was it perhaps with a view to keeping the peace that the farmers of Umbria, Italy cut down their beloved spaghetti trees during the ragu riots of the 1930s; or did they merely want to prevent their hallowed crop from becoming the focus of some of the bloodiest fighting in history?

So the next time you're tucking in to a plate of this pasta delight - at home, in a restaurant, or lovingly hand-rolled by an Italian grandmother, pause and reflect on its long and frantic history.

Buon appetito.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A49259

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more