Execution

0 Conversations

On a day as cold and grey as Puritan steel a large crowd waits in Whitehall. It is the thirtieth of January 1649 and there are spectators everywhere, for this is a momentous event. Gentlemen lounge behind the balustrade that tops the Banqueting House, while ladies and servants lean from the windows. Some daring young men sit precariously on the roof.

The crowd is a motley mixture of people. City merchants in cloaks of good cloth murmur to their wives. A couple of country women, their shawls covering their heads, stand with baskets of eggs at their feet. A few gentlemen sit astride well-groomed horses, their ringlets and plumed hats suggesting that their sympathies lie with the King. A murmur of anticipation rises from the crowd, while a man comforts his sobbing son. Women shiver in the chill wind that blows across St James’ Park.

Beyond the curious populace, a ring of steel is drawn. Rank after rank of infantrymen stand immovable. Most carry pikes but a company of musketeers flanks the scaffold. On one side, troops of horse are lined up, the faces of the men clamped in grim steel helmets. The horses stamp and toss their heads. The New Model Army is demonstrating that they have the power now.

The sides and floor of the scaffold are draped in black, with the block placed in the centre. Dr Juxon, dressed in clerical black, holds the King’s cloak and his Order of St George. Colonel Tomlinson stands by in his role as the head of the guard.

All eyes are drawn to the figure at the heart of this tableau: King Charles. He kneels with his head laid on the block, his hair caught up in a cap and his arms stretched out to indicate that he is ready. His lips move in prayer. The masked executioner stands with his axe raised and, as the weak January sunlight strikes the edge of the blade, it lights a silver fire.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A48874251

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more